Arriflex 16st: what shall I check?

Marco Leoncino

Hello, 

I am a bit familiar with analog technologies and film cameras. I own a Beaulieu R16. Tomorrow I could have the possibility to see an Arriflex 16st, with a motor (fixed for 25 frame/sec), cables, CIne-Xenon 1.4/25mm. What shall I check in order to be sure to decide to buy it or not? External battery I can build by myself.

• Premium Member

I would check the camera with a dummy roll of film to hear if there is any problem with the film transport or possible magazines. The lens should be checked to have functional focusing and aperture. the aperture checked for possible oil on the blades (one can manage with oily iris on a lens but it can show in reflections pretty easily so one should expect more flaring and uglier flares then) . If the camera is affordable you should look for stuff which is outright broken or missing or expensive to repair.

you may need to arrange a CLA for the camera anyway before you use it for serious filming so if nothing is actually broken and the motor and film transport work and the lens is functioning correctly and not scratched then it should be OK to buy

• Premium Member

If I were in your place, I’d remove all lenses from the turret and have a close look at the mirror shutter while revolving it slowly by the motor knob. Are its edges intact or is there anything chipped off? Does light reflected from it wobble? Then I’d turn the turret to get a feel of whether there’s dirt around and that the click stops work nicely.

Second, a look through the finder should give a sharp view of the ground glass (eyepiece adjusted to eye). Next you insert a lens, preferably of longer focal length, open the diaphragm, and try to focus for infinity on something quite distant.

Third important point: pull out motor (release by loosening clamp lever half a turn) and peep into camera under good lighting. Dirt, debris, hairs? Dry grease in mechanism?

Last you open the film gate and look for scratches on the polished metal parts. Let light skip along the rails.

These are the expensive things, everything else can be serviced relatively simply.

• Premium Member

Everything Aapo and Simon said, all great points. If the camera has not had a full CLA in the last 4 years expect to have one done before using it on a project.

About that Schneider CIne-Xenon 1.4/25mm lens, take a flashlight (torch) and shine it thru the lens (aperture fully open) once you've removed it from the camera turret. I have seen those lenses with internal fungus which eats thru the lens coatings. Even when cleaned to remove the fungus, the lens with remain hazey because of the damage to the lens coatings.

Best, -Tim

I forgot to activate the automatic notifications, therefore I missed your replies, sorry ?

However, I saw that camera but I did not buy that, because it was not in good conditions.

I have found one Arriflex on Ebay with 3x lenses and already contacted  Georg Bogner from Camera Service International in Munich for a complete revision.  Since I am based in Germany, that would be the best option, according to what I have read around. He has replied to me already and gave me his availabilty to check the camera. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 10:00 PM, Marco Leoncino said:

I forgot to activate the automatic notifications, therefore I missed your replies, sorry ?

However, I saw that camera but I did not buy that, because it was not in good conditions.

I have found one Arriflex on Ebay with 3x lenses and already contacted  Georg Bogner from Camera Service International in Munich for a complete revision.  Since I am based in Germany, that would be the best option, according to what I have read around. He has replied to me already and gave me his availabilty to check the camera. 

Hi Marco. Did you buy the camera and did you get it serviced by Georg Bogner? I have recently acquired an Arri 16S in pristine condition. I works properly but before using it on a project I would like to get et serviced. From my research it seems like Georg Bogner is the last person here in Europe who stills service these cameras!

Hi Thomas, yes, I had bought a nice one with all the 3 Schneider lenses. It was end of December.

Then I got it serviced and upgraded by Mr. Bogner, who cleaned, lubricated and installed a new focusing screen (much brighter), new eyepiece and new gum part which couples to the tip of the motor. I also bought two 120 meters film magazines by him and he also checked them. I had to solve the issue of the battery, which I made by myself (8x 18650 Lithium cells to produce 8 volt and several amperes for the huge motor).

I had to make a decent battery back which I have inserted in a small camera case (those for the compact cameras). Mr Bogner also sold me a cable for the camera, I arranged the connectors ecc.

Then I had to find lens caps. I also acquired, at a very nice price a tele athenar 230 and the original compendium.

I have also found a nice shoulder rig and a head for a tripod.

Then I purchased film from Orwo.

I bought by selling a lot of old stuff on ebay.

We are in middle of April now, and finally I have an idea for a decent script.... let´s see!