'Keratin' - award winning dystopian horror short film

A short film that I shot and co-directed back in March 2020 has just been released online at www.vimeo.com/backbonefilms/keratin and via Directors Notes https://directorsnotes.com/2021/01/08/andrew-butler-james-wilson-keratin/ featuring an interview about the process and some BTS photos.

When setting out to make the film, we wanted to challenge ourselves to create a really distinct tone and atmosphere with the world we created. During pre production we referenced a range of dystopian/dark films and fiction when discussing shooting style and the muted, earthy, grainy colour palette we were hoping to achieve. 

The film was shot on a Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro G1 (mainly because we wanted to shoot anamorphic and could get hold of an URSA mini for free) with Atlas anamorphic lenses on the front. I had never used the URSA Mini Pro before, but had been assured by a good friend that I would be blown away by the image quality and flexibility if we shot in RAW. I absolutely loved using the camera and was really impressed with the image in the grade - at the time I compared it to a more useable Red, and our colourist agreed.

Lighting had to be kept to a minimum due to the fact we were a 10 minute walk from the nearest power supply, so had to rely on v lock batteries. Generators and HMI's were out of the question due to the low budget nature of shooting. We mostly lit with natural light that we shaped with bounce, diff and neg and had 2 Litemats, some Astera tubes and an Aputure 120D on standby to supplement if needed.

I hope you enjoy it!

• 4 weeks later...

This film rips off an Adam Ellis comic. Did you know you can option rights and give proper credit to the creator and still make a respectable piece of art? You don’t need 100% of the credit to make art but if you are this morally bankrupt people will always assume you are 100% creatively bankrupt too. These directors will surely have fun in their next careers as headshot or catalogue photographers.