What file format is best for grading film scans?

Seth Baldwin

I'm quite new when it comes to grading film scans. How does the process usually work for higher end productions still shooting on film like 35mm. Is there a specific file format they work with to give them the most amount of information to grade or apply a lut to the scans? Do their scanners apply luts digitally in their scanner software, or do they scan as raw as possible to a specific file format then grade in software like resolve.

Edited by Seth Baldwin

• Premium Member

DPX files. At Kodak here in London you can ask for a "best light" scan, which is graded. I usually get a 'technical grade'  or you can ask for a log scan which is flat. The dpx files are massive. You do your edit with a 2k Quicktime and export an AAF to conform the dpx files for grading.

• Like 1

Okay thank you. Also a side question, what is the industry standard software for working with dpx files for DI? Would it be resolve, baselight, or something else? What do most known colorists use, out of interest.

Edited by Seth Baldwin

• Premium Member

You can usually also just ask for Prores4444 video files if DPX is a hassle. I’m not sure DPX has much advantage unless you’re doing VFX or frame-by-frame restoration cleanup work. Cineon log files in Prores4444 grade really well.

• Upvote 1