Bold prediction: film will become cheaper in the medium to long term

On 1/18/2021 at 2:32 AM, Manu Delpech said:

Film will be just fine. Killers of The Flower Moon is starting next month for a seven month shoot, David O.Russell's next one is shooting right now (probably on film). Paul Thomas Anderson shot his latest film a few months ago on 35mm as always. Patty Jenkins only shoots on film and she's got three huge films lined up: Rogue Squadron, Wonder Woman 3 and Cleopatra. I'm guessing/hoping that Indy 5 (directed by James Mangold) will be film too. No Time To Die is releasing (probably pushed back to Fall 2021), A Quiet Place Part 2 as well (film), Shyamalan's Old (he actually paid the extra himself to go back to film on this one), Death On The Nile, Last Night in Soho, Mission Impossible 7, The French Dispatch, West Side Story and so on.

There are also obviously other films shooting that we don't know of, then all the directors currently shooting on film are going to continue to shoot on film. 

*cough* "The Northman *cough, cough...* )

• Like 3

Not sure if anyone heard about this yet,

Columbia Collage in Chicago which is one on the top schools for Motion Picture Film Courses is phasing out film and going totally digital, not only that but word from the camera cage is hat all of the film camera s are to be junked.

here is a excellent podcast from last week in response to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gOGQeCkS7U&fbclid=IwAR3qm-JYQhsLr-5ry3e2bq3K6-HDi5JtLS9sXfwpPgmceR88ddElWVrKCQg  

2 hours ago, John Rizzo said:

Not sure if anyone heard about this yet,

Columbia Collage in Chicago which is one on the top schools for Motion Picture Film Courses is phasing out film and going totally digital, not only that but word from the camera cage is hat all of the film camera s are to be junked.

here is a excellent podcast from last week in response to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gOGQeCkS7U&fbclid=IwAR3qm-JYQhsLr-5ry3e2bq3K6-HDi5JtLS9sXfwpPgmceR88ddElWVrKCQg  

Ok, well, the last time I shot digitally was 2017 so there are a broad spectrum of experiences. I'm shooting a commercial on 35mm in a couple weeks, of all things...

There is an unprecedented rise in 65mm production as well. Maybe it's just getting more stratified and we could lose a film technician pool to feed the upper end, but for now there is a different film situation than 5 years ago.

Jarin

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, John Rizzo said:

Yep, this has been talked about for a while. I have some friends who went there JUST for the "film" program and they are heartbroken. I believe they were one of the last programs to have 35mm cameras. The reasoning behind it is simply budget cuts. They don't want to have a tech to support film cameras anymore. We all know how difficult it is to maintain a fleet, you can't just put them back on the self after use. I hope someone will step in and figure out a way to keep it going. Learning film is not only a very important part of history but also a skillset that is desirable on set. 

https://www.change.org/p/columbia-college-chicago-save-film-at-columbia-college-chicago

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Manu Delpech said:

Yeah, I assumed that was the case earlier, no idea why considering McQuarrie clearly prefers film. Logistically simpler considering they"re shooting all over the globe? 

Or because labs were shut during lockdown?

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

The new Mission Impossible is shot digital, not film ?

Labs never closed during the pandemic, we've used Cinelab London, Color Lab and Fotokem throughout the lockdown, no problems. 

I think it was more logistics than anything else. We'll find out during an interview at some point in the near future I bet. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Labs never closed during the pandemic, we've used Cinelab London, Color Lab and Fotokem throughout the lockdown, no problems. 

I think it was more logistics than anything else. We'll find out during an interview at some point in the near future I bet. 

Kodak Lab London was shut during the first lockdown. They are running this time but with reduced capacity, as far as I know. There was a leaked phone recording from the Mission Impossible set where Tom Cruise is yelling at crew for breaking Covid rules. He talks about being on the phone to insurers every night to prevent a shut down. Stressful times.

• Like 1