Arri Mini challanges

Good morning everyone.  Hoping everyone only the best for the year 2021.

I am currently working with a company that wants to get the Arri mini LF for a long term project.

Much good is said about this camera especially after the 1917 film. But not much is commonly known about the downsides and challenges (if any) that might be experienced working with the camera.

Has anyone encountered issues working with this camera , and if so what solutions might you have come up with to fix.

Any help and advice is much appreciated

On 1/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, Alpha Mthembu said:

Good morning everyone.  Hoping everyone only the best for the year 2021.

I am currently working with a company that wants to get the Arri mini LF for a long term project.

Much good is said about this camera especially after the 1917 film. But not much is commonly known about the downsides and challenges (if any) that might be experienced working with the camera.

Has anyone encountered issues working with this camera , and if so what solutions might you have come up with to fix.

Any help and advice is much appreciated

Hi Alpha,

The mini LF is a super solid camera that is basically a combination of the sensor of the LF (although not exactly) and the design philosophy of the Alexa mini which is a camera that’s been a pretty solid contender for about five years now. Arri is also a brand leader known for color reproduction which again, is super solid in the mini LF. As an AC, personally the only gripe I have with the mini LF is that the EVF scroll wheel has moved to the center making it impossible to scroll through selections while it’s flipped inwards, aside from this one quirk I think the mini LF is a superior camera to the mini. As far as downsides the obvious of any large format camera is that media and readers are going to be pricey as well as making sure you have drive space for it, also as the mini and mini LF are essentially just squares with ports and sensors you do have to buy a fair amount of AKS to rig it to start but the same can be said of many camera systems. I suppose a better question is do you need everything that the mini LF offers/what are the requirements of your footage? Also if large format is the ask wondering if you have looked at the Sony Venice? Also a very capable camera and the dual ISO is a great feature. I’d say as long as you have the startup capital though the mini LF is hard to go wrong with. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2021 at 12:33 AM, Travis Shannon said:

...the mini LF is that the EVF scroll wheel has moved to the center making it impossible to scroll through selections while it’s flipped inwards...

There is a second scroll wheel and button on the body of the eyepiece. with the screen flipped and blocking the first scroll wheel, reach around the eyepiece on the top left there is a little wheel and a button next to it (below the user buttons)

One item of note is the media needs time to "finish" after a take or playback before ejecting. Arri says 10 seconds before taking the card out.
Waveform on the eyepiece monitor is also missing currently (Q1 2021) but this may come in future SUPdates

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chris Steel said:

There is a second scroll wheel and button on the body of the eyepiece. with the screen flipped and blocking the first scroll wheel, reach around the eyepiece on the top left there is a little wheel and a button next to it (below the user buttons)

One item of note is the media needs time to "finish" after a take or playback before ejecting. Arri says 10 seconds before taking the card out.
Waveform on the eyepiece monitor is also missing currently (Q1 2021) but this may come in future SUPdates

Great note, it struck me as odd that Arri would gimp the scroll wheel like that- although admittedly as I’m a first and not an op most of my time with the vf is spent at prep and doing quick adjustments on set. I love the ergonomics of the mini but the camera assistant in me does miss how perfect the dumbside layout of the classic/xt was.

Thanks so much for help. Really looking forward to working with it for my first time, can barely contain my excitement.

Apparently there will be a 7.0 SUP releasing soon. Any news on what this  update includes

• 1 month later...

Yes, the MVF-2 (EVF) is the trickiest thing probably to get used to. Note the lock button on it, and the 2x scroll wheels is a nice thing I constantly forget about as well. 

Also, Not sure if many other people have noticed this but I've had the MVF-2 glitch quite a few times when changing settings or in other miscellaneous scenarios. Usually I just disconnect it and reconnect it you're all good. Could be a firmware thing though, it happens so rarely that I don't really worry about it.