How do you grade your takes?

• Premium Member

If you’re working with a script supervisor, they sit next to the director at the monitors and make notes during the take. If the director wants to keep a particular take, then that take gets circled in the notes. If someone in the camera department is keeping a camera report, they will also circle the take #.

In the 35mm film days, sometimes only those circled takes would get printed at the lab for dailies in order to save time and money. With digital camera footage, I don’t know if there is a metadata tag they add, but everything gets sent to post. 

• Like 1

When we're shooting I usually have the assistant mark which take is the best or make a note what I liked and am planing on using in the edit. 

Most of the time I'm right but then as the editing gets more refined some things might get cut or other things added. But we usually start with the original idea  and then refine it from there.

But it is a lot of work looking trough everything when you're searching for something that you need but don't know if it's there or not.

We've been using the Blackmagic cameras and there's this cool feature there where you can mark a good take. That's been helpful. 

Edited by Vital Butinar
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:34 PM, Vital Butinar said:

When we're shooting I usually have the assistant mark which take is the best or make a note what I liked and am planing on using in the edit. 

Most of the time I'm right but then as the editing gets more refined some things might get cut or other things added. But we usually start with the original idea  and then refine it from there.

But it is a lot of work looking trough everything when you're searching for something that you need but don't know if it's there or not.

We've been using the Blackmagic cameras and there's this cool feature there where you can mark a good take. That's been helpful. 

Which specific camera are you using? And what is your typical post workflow?  I'm asking because I haven't figured out how to get the metadata to "survive" either through transcoding, or even going straight into the NLE for an online edit.

1 hour ago, Daniel Lo Presti said:

Which specific camera are you using? And what is your typical post workflow?  I'm asking because I haven't figured out how to get the metadata to "survive" either through transcoding, or even going straight into the NLE for an online edit.

Personally my girlfriend and I bought a Blackmagic Pocket 4K and we use it on most of our projects. When we need something bigger for a shoot we usually rent the Ursa Mini Pro but since we got this camera there hasn't been much need for renting because it suffices for virtually everything we do.

As for the metadata it transfers into Davinci Resolve without any problems. Even the "good take" info transfers. But we always use BRAW and always with Davinci. So we don't need to transcode.  I've never used this with other NLEs and other cameras and file formats. 

• Like 1