Court Ruling on Filming in National Parks, on USA Lands

Dennis Toeppen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvJRgGle9wU&feature=emb_imp_woyt

I was once pursued by a law enforcement ranger in Yellowstone after a person at the south gate noticed my Kodak K100 in my car. I am not kidding. Gate agent summoned LER and told him what I was driving. A few miles later, he spotted me as he was heading opposite direction and made a quick U-Turn. Then he followed me for a bit. I jumped off at the turnout for the first crossing of the Continental Divide and there wasn't space for him, so he staked out a position down the road. Then he followed me again. When we got to West Thumb junction, he pulled me over with a bogus excuse - claimed I was following too closely. I sort of chewed the guy out and he decided to go pester someone else.

Good thing it wasn't my 235 or 416, or I'd still be in jail.

Edited by Dennis Toeppen
fix
  • Upvote 1

Dennis,

Thanks for sharing this useful bit of information. I shoot with my film cameras in national parks and have been approached about permits by park personnel. This new court ruling should alleviate most of the unnecessary pestering.

• Premium Member

This is something the whole world is starting to struggle with in the age of everyone being a videographer, and various government entities, from the police to local government to national parks, have often seen it as a revenue stream. As the video shows that might be reasonable for large productions but it's certainly not for individuals or, I'd argue, for very small units of two or three people.

As such, I nod approvingly from afar!

1 hour ago, Phil Rhodes said:

This is something the whole world is starting to struggle with in the age of everyone being a videographer, and various government entities, from the police to local government to national parks, have often seen it as a revenue stream. As the video shows that might be reasonable for large productions but it's certainly not for individuals or, I'd argue, for very small units of two or three people.

As such, I nod approvingly from afar!

Yeah, I am extremely sick of governmental agencies trying to find revenue streams in normal day-to-day activities of its citizens. I mean, if they want to end taxes and switch to user fees, ok. But I'm sure as hell not ok with both. Don't even get me started on governmental entities asserting trademark rights in things that are owned by taxpayers.

Edited by Dennis Toeppen
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I shot a narrative project back in 2012/2013 that got shut down while shooting without a permit in Death Valley. The Park Ranger who found us was pretty sympathetic, considering the situation. He said personally, he wished that more filmmakers would shoot there so people could see the beauty of the park, but rules were rules and he had to follow them.

I had another shoot about a month ago on Angel Island in San Francisco Bay (with a permit), and the Park Ranger was great. She even took us on a quick tour of less visited parts of the island after we had wrapped. But it’s a big country and I’m not surprised that attitudes can vary widely depending on the location.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

I shot a narrative project back in 2012/2013 that got shut down while shooting without a permit in Death Valley. The Park Ranger who found us was pretty sympathetic, considering the situation. He said personally, he wished that more filmmakers would shoot there so people could see the beauty of the park, but rules were rules and he had to follow them.

I had another shoot about a month ago on Angel Island in San Francisco Bay (with a permit), and the Park Ranger was great. She even took us on a quick tour of less visited parts of the island after we had wrapped. But it’s a big country and I’m not surprised that attitudes can vary widely depending on the location.

I really want to go to Death Valley. 

I'm not sure what this new ruling would let anyone do there that they weren't allowed to before. Turn up with four or five people and shoot an actual scene?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I really want to go to Death Valley. 

I'm not sure what this new ruling would let anyone do there that they weren't allowed to before. Turn up with four or five people and shoot an actual scene?

I don’t think that would be allowed without a permit either. It seems to mostly benefit one man band shooters, vloggers, news camera people and the like, as far I as I can tell. Still a win, I think. Hope they all continue to clean up after themselves and respect the integrity of the parks though.