simulate Night to day time lapse in camera

Ben Kahn

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to simulate a night to day time lapse in camera.

The scene is an overhead shot of a character lying in bed staring at the ceiling all night and into the morning. He is lit with a soft wash of blue moonlight. Then we see the transition to day. The effect of sun rising creates a moving hard light over his body.

My thought is to just use a few LED's and fade from blue moonlight, to a soft, cool daylight mixed with a warm, hard sunlight. Maybe it's that simple

I'd like to get that stop motion staccato effect too but I think it would have to be a post thing..

Thanks,

Ben

• Premium Member

That staccato effect you're referring to can be achieved simply by speeding up the footage, OR undercranking the recording if you have the option. Sony for example has the S&Q feature, so you can undercrank the fps for in-camera timelapse or overcrank for slower motion.

I'd find a way to move the sun during your timelapse.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Ben Kahn said:

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Do you happen to know what movie that Kiera Knightly clip is from?

The clip is from ‘Pride & Prejudice’ (2005), directed by Joe Wright. The film has beautiful cinematography, including some very long Steadicam oners and creative staging. Hard to believe it’s Mr. Wright’s first feature!