SR3 PL Mount Locking Tension

Danner Gardner

The locking mechanism on the PL mount for my SR seems like it has more play than it should. When I put lenses on the camera, the PL lock can loosen much too easily. Some lenses fit a little more snug than others but overall it seems like it's loose. Is there a way to adjust this tension? I don't want to mess up the flange distance on it by taking the whole PL mount off. 

• Premium Member

It’s a thread lock, so you can’t adjust any looseness in the threads, but as long as any thread wear isn’t bad enough that the lock ring goes past the lens flanges when locking off, it’s still fine. The threads just need cleaning and relubrication with a viscous grease. Ideally, take it to a camera tech or ask a rental house service department, but you can remove just the lock ring by taking off the stop.

• Like 1

Hey Dom, I have one other question for you.

My SR is a non high-speed model but it came with two HS mags. I know arri doesn't recommend using them but I've never had a problem. I recently bought 4 non-HS spare mags for parts for super cheap. I know the main difference between the two is the HS has a fixed pressure plate and the non-HS has a sprung plate. Can i just take the throat assemblies from the non-HS and put it in the working HS mags to eliminate any possible flange focal depth issues? They look to be exactly the same.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Yes the fixed pressure plate on HS mags means the HS cameras are set to a different flange depth from standard SRs. It's possible someone reset the flange depth on your non-HS SR to work better with the HS mags it came with, or you're just not seeing the slight softness - it's 2-3 hundredths of a mm (a thousandth of an inch) difference, which is small but several times the tolerance when setting a camera flange depth.

You could swap the throat assemblies over, but I would recommend getting the camera flange depth and ground glass focus checked for peace of mind. It doesn't take long for a tech or a rental house with the right tools. 

• Like 1