HD-SDI video tap on Aaton LTR

Karl Erik Brøndbo

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Karl Erik Brøndbo said:

I’ve just bought an old Aaton LTR 54 and want to upgrade it with a HD-SDI video tap? Does anyone know the difference between the video tap from az-spectrum and Visual Products? 

I'm pretty sure there are no modern tap solutions for the LTR. The new tap uses the internal beam splitter assembly that only exists on the XTR Plus and newer. You'd need to do a heck of a lot of modification to the LTR body in order to get it all working, including finding a shell that has the side hole for the tap. 

Looking at the specs, the AZ spectrum and VP tap's are the similar cameras. Neither one are "flicker free", they are a 25 fps camera, so there will be a small flicker in the image. I've seen the AZ spectrum one close up, it looks good. Marketable improvement over stock. However, you still can't use it to judge focus. The HD tap is really only a benefit for modern HD wireless and monitors, rather than a huge upgrade that will allow the camera to do more. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I'm pretty sure there are no modern tap solutions for the LTR. The new tap uses the internal beam splitter assembly that only exists on the XTR Plus and newer. You'd need to do a heck of a lot of modification to the LTR body in order to get it all working, including finding a shell that has the side hole for the tap. 

Looking at the specs, the AZ spectrum and VP tap's are the similar cameras. Neither one are "flicker free", they are a 25 fps camera, so there will be a small flicker in the image. I've seen the AZ spectrum one close up, it looks good. Marketable improvement over stock. However, you still can't use it to judge focus. The HD tap is really only a benefit for modern HD wireless and monitors, rather than a huge upgrade that will allow the camera to do more. 

Thanks!

AZspectrum say that they can install a not retractable beam splitter (since my ltr doesn’t have one)  does that mean that the optical viewfinder won’t work any more?

And while AZspektrum had it’s video tap at the normal place (in the back of the camera), visual products has an extra box on the side. Do you know what that can be?

1 hour ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The box here:

IMG_3086_20201103_170409_1.jpg

• Premium Member

Yea the box is the tap itself. Most of the XTR's have the tap there and the electronics coming off the back. 

What's pictured is probably the old style SD tap and yes, it probably uses an XTR style beam splitter arrangement. They probably just cut a hole in the side of the case, tap some screws and throw on a very similar tap to the XTR. However, from my understanding its not HD.