Fixing a C-Stand

Rick Gates

On a recent shoot, I had some rookies putting away the C-stands.  These are Avenger stands with the separable turtle base. I did see some of the stands carried off without separating the base first.  For some reason, the inner sleeve in the base got turned so that the hole in the sleeve rotated, and now I can no longer screw through it to secure the riser (see photo).  My questions are:

1.  Has this happened to anybody before?

2. How do you fix it?  I've tried using a deep socket to loosen the screw at the bottom of the junior receiver, but I think I'm just loosening a spring that is likely to pop out.

Thanks all.

20210217_095002_sm.thumb.jpg.2c237da16325d82bdfce7dfe61184fea.jpg

First terror, then success.  I took Gregg's advice and the two halves of the casting fell onto my workbench!  But that exposed the top third of the sleeve, so I used a pipe wrench to rotate it into place, screwed the casting back in place and viola!  Good as new.

Thanks Gregg!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you loosen the the lower castings before you rotated the sleeve?  A piece of rod (as Gregg suggested) or a drift might have given you the same result without burring the sleeve.

Edited by Doyle Smith