Laowa 4mm to C-mount for Super 8mm?

Michael Koshkin

Hi All,

I have a Beaulieu 4008 with the Max 8 mod by Pro8 and the Angenieux 8-64. I’d like something wider. Thinking I should probably get the Schneider 6-66 at some point, but I’ve also been looking at C mount super wides like the Century 3.5mm. I know this topic has been discussed plenty on here.

I’m wondering what people think about adapting the Laowa 4mm fisheye to C mount? It was designed for small format mirrorless cameras so the lens mount options are not the most ideal (M4/3, EF-M, Fuji X, Sony E and L mount). With a quick search, the only C mount adapter I could find for any of those is a Fotodiox Fuji X to C.

Any thoughts on this? Think the flange will be off?

Also, since this covers M4/3 sensors, I’d assume that on Super 8mm with a Max8 gate, I’m gonna get the expected fisheye vignette in the corners, but would the lens cover the width of the gate? I would expect it would.

If a 4mm is gonna be something like a 16mm fov equivalent in Super 35 terms, I like the sound of the focal length.

Also, it’s a quite a bit cheaper solution than buying the Century 3.5...

Ive also looked at some c mount security camera lenses. Anyone used any they liked?

Since there is only .174mm difference between the flange focal distance of the large Fuji X mount and the small diameter of C mount, you will not be able to achieve infinity focus unless the adapter has a negative glass element built in to it.

Phil Forrest

Edited by Philip Forrest
measurement correction

24 minutes ago, Philip Forrest said:

Yeah, I was looking at the flange distance of different mounts on there before. Seems like M4/3 and L are the only mount versions of this lens that are more than 1mm greater. Maybe it’s a lost cause. I haven’t seen a mount for either of those to C.

If you're not averse to tinkering, go to the hardware store and buy a couple different fisheye door peep viewers. You'll need a simple convex/convex element behind the main lens to project the image properly on a film plane but between finding junker fixed focus Wollensaks and a few different size/focal length peep-holes, you'll still be under $50. They aren't as fast as a "real" lens for photography, but fun to play with. I have one of these stuffed into the filter holder of a fixed focus Wollensak 20mm and it resolves an image a little bigger than standard 16mm 4:3. This reminds me, I should get that lens out and play with it more.

Phil Forrest

Optivaron 1,8/6-66 with Schneider Aspheric ultrawide lens III wil give you around 4mm.

I use this combo with both my Leicina Special and Bolex DS-8,

it's  sharp, shows nearly no distortion, but tends to flare under critical lighting condition.

Good luck,

Volker

18 hours ago, Volker Bendt said:

Optivaron 1,8/6-66 with Schneider Aspheric ultrawide lens III wil give you around 4mm.

I use this combo with both my Leicina Special and Bolex DS-8,

it's  sharp, shows nearly no distortion, but tends to flare under critical lighting condition.

Good luck,

Volker

I wonder how bad this will vignette on a max 8 gate? Pro8 sells their modified cameras with the Angeneiux 8-64 and notes the Schneider 6-66 and 6-70 vignette. Wondering if that’s just a little in the corners or to the point of seeing a black circle around the frame...

Is this from the focal length or the physical lens circle/coverage size? And would the wide adapter make it worse? I don’t mind a little darkness in the corners for some stuff, but wouldn’t want to go with this combination if I’m gonna physically see a black circle.

Maybe I should be looking at wide 16mm lenses that will cover the larger frame?

On 3/3/2021 at 5:43 AM, Volker Bendt said:

Out of curiosity I made some test shots with my Leicina Optivaron and Leica M.

The image circle is around 7,5mm, with and without ultrawide lens.

It seems to be worth a trial.

Volker

Thanks for the research! I just shot a test roll of some very expired PlusX (Schneider 6-70mm and Schneider Ultrawide III adapter on a Beaulieu 4008 with max8 gate). Once cropped to 16:9 it does vignette but I can work with it. Blowing up the frame to about 103-104% gets rid of the vignette and at that point, it's still much wider than anything else I've found.

https://imgur.com/a/PzvplA1