Using Kodak Film with a Fuji-Film Daylight Spool?

Anthony Wilson

Hey!!

First time poster here because I couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere...

I'm new to using the Bolex H16, I have some flashed Kodak dummy film on a regular daylight spool as my feed. My take-up spool is similar looking except it's got Fuji-Film etched onto it on both sides and it seems like the slot to insert the film is a little bigger than the one I have as my feed spool. Whenever I try loading it and start firing off, the take up doesn't properly loop and it gets all lopsided and the film sticks out a bit to the point that when I keep rolling it- it gets all tangled and jams up on itself. I must be loading it properly because I tried a different spool, one that doesn't say Fuji-Film, and it loaded and fired through the whole roll without any problems twice. I've never shot Fuji stock but does the film require a certain type of spool that the Kodak stock can't use? Or is the spool just old/damaged and can't loop the film properly and is that even something that can happen? It's really hard to tell if the spool has any problems because it looks completely fine to me, just a little different

Let me know what y'all think and I appreciate your time.

Thank you.

• 1 year later...