Smart dimmers ?

Hi, does anyone know of any 'smart dimmers' really just for practicals under 100w (I'm UK based) So a plug which goes between the power supply and the lights plug, which can allow the on/off function plus dimming of an incandescent bulb or a dimmable LED, via a remote app or handheld device. I'd be keen for it to be affordable. Cheers

• Premium Member
On 3/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, Jonathan O'Neill said:

Hi, does anyone know of any 'smart dimmers' really just for practicals under 100w (I'm UK based) So a plug which goes between the power supply and the lights plug, which can allow the on/off function plus dimming of an incandescent bulb or a dimmable LED, via a remote app or handheld device. I'd be keen for it to be affordable. Cheers

Aputure has made led practical bulbs with built in wireless technology. But if you want to dim incandescents, you can get a simple Edison dimmer pack that has dmx. Then put any wireless dmx dongle you’d like in there, and connect it to a board / whatever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Joseph, would you mind expanding a little on the second option possibly with examples of products you mention for the Edison dimmer pack that has dmx as well as the wireless dmx dongle? This is all super interesting yet completely new to me. Would this solution work for dimmers that go up to 1500W for larger tungsten globes? Third follow up question: Could I run those DMX dongles from my iPad? Thanks so much. 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:10 AM, Joseph Tese said:

Aputure has made led practical bulbs with built in wireless technology. But if you want to dim incandescents, you can get a simple Edison dimmer pack that has dmx. Then put any wireless dmx dongle you’d like in there, and connect it to a board / whatever.

• Premium Member
On 4/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, Hannes Famira said:

Hello Joseph, would you mind expanding a little on the second option possibly with examples of products you mention for the Edison dimmer pack that has dmx as well as the wireless dmx dongle? This is all super interesting yet completely new to me. Would this solution work for dimmers that go up to 1500W for larger tungsten globes? Third follow up question: Could I run those DMX dongles from my iPad? Thanks so much. 

There’s a bunch out there, but here’s a small, simple, portable one in light of the op’s needs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/833611-REG/CHAUVET_DMX_4LED_DMX_4LED_4_Channel_Dimmer_Pack.html/qa

It just depends on what your needs are..mainly power. That pack is not rated for a single 1500watt globe, for example. But there are more beefier dimmer packs out there, that may have an “input” of something other than edisons, like Bates or cams.

For the wireless side, you have to choose a wireless protocol, which will determine your wireless hardware and visa versa. CRMX (also known as Lumenradio) is widely popular and many led manufacturers incorporate their chip into the fixtures directly now. There are many wireless dmx devices that use this protocol, like a Ratpac Cintenna/AKS combo. The cintenna goes into the dmx port of the dimmer pack. The AKS is your transmitter, and can connect wirelessly to your iPad (it makes its own WiFi signal) if you wish to configure it that way. Your iPad can run software like Luminaire , or if you’re feeling spicy use the Blackout app, which offers more customization.

Also, it may be worth noting that Dadco makes lunchbox/dimmer combos that have wireless transceivers built into them, to help consolidate some of your pieces.

Edited by Joseph Tese
  • Like 1