FX3 vs FX6

David-Olivier Gascon

Hi,

I'm mostly doing corporate videos - 80%of the time I'm working alone or in a 2 person team. For now, I have a mirrorless camera (A7s2) but I'm ready to upgrade.

What do you think of the FX3 over the FX6 ?

Besides the ergonomic that look more interesting in the FX6, I found that the ND that is a big plus in the FX6.

Is there any good variable ND that are as good as the internal ND of the Sony FX6, FS7, etc.

(In my type of work and don't have the time to work with square ND)

The https://www.polarprofilters.com/products/pmvnd-edii?variant=32789908750420 looks interesting (not just because of the branding lol, but because there is fix ND stops)

Also, does a FX6 is a better investment in the long term (5-6 years).

Thanks !

Edited by David-Olivier Gascon
error2

• Premium Member

Though the two cameras are quite similar, I think the FX6 is more versatile camera. The electronic ND is a pretty huge benefit in a single operator situation. And as you grow in your career, you may start working with a sound person recording double system audio, in which case having timecode input/output on the camera may also be a big factor.

1 hour ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Though the two cameras are quite similar, I think the FX6 is more versatile camera. The electronic ND is a pretty huge benefit in a single operator situation. And as you grow in your career, you may start working with a sound person recording double system audio, in which case having timecode input/output on the camera may also be a big factor.

Thank you. Yes it make sens to invest in something that will grow with my career. 

• 6 months later...

I don't consider the FX3 is a cinema camera. So I would recommend FX6 (tbh I would recommend bmpcc, FX6 is a great camera too, but the image quality is not that great compared to bmpcc 6k according to the price difference. Personally, I would use that money buy 2 bmpcc 6k pro)

• 1 month later...
Hello, everybody, I have a question about dual ISO on FX6:
If you ever shot with it, how did you find its performance working in lowlight with base ISO 12800? Did the final shot match your expectations regarding noise? I know the sensor of the FX6 and FX3 is the same as the one on the A7III, but I just wanted to know how does it perform in Low Light... Thank you.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Gianluca Mazzanti said:
Hello, everybody, I have a question about dual ISO on FX6:
If you ever shot with it, how did you find its performance working in lowlight with base ISO 12800? Did the final shot match your expectations regarding noise? I know the sensor of the FX6 and FX3 is the same as the one on the A7III, but I just wanted to know how does it perform in Low Light... Thank you.

I work with the FX6. 12000 base is noisier than its 800 base. I've found that with the 12000 base, rating it at 6400 produces comparable noise to the 800 base.

• Like 1