Rock N Roller Carts --- which one?

So, I'm considering a second cart for AKS cases or for maybe bringing with me on travel shoots to wheel gear through airports and hotels and whatnot. I figured a Rock 'n Roller cart would probably be the best option for a less heavy-duty, lightweight, and compact cart for this. I get a little lost on the models when looking at their website, and was wondering if any other people here have any experience with which model you feel would be the best for said scenarios? Any input or alternative recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I dunno about airline travel, but for equipment cases I use an R12 with the large wheels which works great. I don’t bother with the top shelf, too many screws and too fiddly. I know one DP who made a custom wooden shelf with a lip for his R12 that just drops on - you could try that if you need the top shelf.

I have a feeling that the front wheels would get trashed pretty quickly if you checked the cart for air travel, but I’m sure others who’ve actually done it can tell you for sure. I haven’t tried it with mine yet.

One thing about Rock-n-Roller carts and air travel - make sure you gaff tape the handles down.  Even then, I've gotten the cart back and somehow the 3 points I'd had double taped had broken and the handles came loose.  It's a great cart to fly with, though.  They're not indestructible - we've shredded wheels, bent frames - but for the most part they've held up remarkedly well.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Rocknrollers are trash. Get yourself the Remin KartMaster. I have travelled with both extensively. The KartMaster is a bit heavier and more expensive, but it is built like a tank and rolls like a Cadillac. Because of the way it folds, you don't have to worry about it opening up in transit. At the airport I typically lay my folded 42" inovativ on the bottom and stack another couple hundred pounds of cases on top of that.