Ripping Off The Juniper Tree Visual Effect

Hello,

I’m shooting a film on S16 500T and I’d like some advice on how to capture an effect like this in color. 

In my version, someone is pulling a piece of cassette tape from a black hole on someone’s stomach. My first though was to get the desired shot of the stomach and have the actor reach in as though the hole is there and then, using the same framing and the same lens, have a bit of black liquid with cassette tape in it, have the actor reach their hand in and pull it out. Then in post, combine the images.

Let me know if that’s ridiculous and what will work best!

- Ryan

1D408519-DD19-4F8C-8BB2-45C86B0E4974.jpeg

• Premium Member

If you’re ok with compositing in post, I would shoot it as two elements. 

1. Background plate - person’s stomach. Leave enough room around the edges of where you want the hole to be, and make sure nothing crosses it.

If you want to have the actor’s foreground hand reach into frame and pull the video cassette out from the stomach area as a visual reference, that’s fine. Although you will most likely be using the clean plate for your effects shot.

2. Foreground hand + prop hole + video cassette on green or bluescreen.

You’ll have to decide how realistic you want the hole to look - having some texture inside and a sharp line around the edge of the hole will make compositing a little easier. It would be kinda gross but also cool if the hole was gently pulsating inside.

You’ll also want to make the lighting match - in your B&W reference, there’s a back edge light that hits the hand as it pulls away from the hole, which I think you could also use. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Ryan Sloan said:

I definitely want a bit of that Videodrome/ body horror aspect to it.

In that case, you might also consider some makeup/prosthetics on the stomach that can be a transition area for the hole. Might help the two shots line up better.