MUSICVIDEO shot with a BOLEX H16 SBM

Hey Guys ! A big THANK YOU for helping me out months ago when buying a BOLEX 16mm CAMERA !! 

I just premiered my self-shot music video and I get a lot of love for it. 

I am a musician and not a professional Cinematographer ... I just shot the video to make it fit my music. 

BUT...a lot of time was involved, plus 7 rolls of KODAK 50D .... and a flight to MALTA. 

So, thanks again to you nice motivating people ! And give me a comment if you like the video !

(If you have questions...just ask...I like people!) 

THX, René Mühlberger from VIENNA. 

159698045_10158454679183509_4552370901950234150_n.jpg.f293a2c0fbe69623c9901ca3a9937641.jpg

VIDEO on youtube: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkbWfWq93BI&list=RDgkbWfWq93BI&start_radio=1

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That looks terrific Rene, comgratulations!

Exposure and focus look spot on and you got some good use out of the zoom lens I notice!

I’m a fan of Eurovision and the quirky European approach where you cant always tell what’s knowing retro irony and what’s in earnest, but either way your vid made me smile.

Thanks for coming back to the forum to let us know how it went, so often we never hear back from people who get advice here. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Beautiful work, Rene! Love the compositions and the edit. You found some fantastic frames.

What were the biggest challenges for you on this shoot? 

Is that you in the video singing? It must have been difficult filming yourself without a monitor. How much help did you have?

What was your workflow like? Did you end up carrying the exposed rolls around with you to each location and processing when you got back home? 

Anyway, thanks for sharing and congrats on the fine work!

• Like 1

Hey guys! Thanks for your feedback about the Bolex video! ? 

I hope it´s okay to answer to all of you here - I have to figure out the forums functions more I guess! 

Anyway, spot on with the quirky European approach Dom ! Haha, that made ME smile. I guess it´s the way I like doing things. I'm not a very technical guy - that´s why I love vintage gear. It´s easier to handle. But, I tried my best to focus and expose correctly. It was not easy though, because I shot the whole video with my partner Marlene - and sometimes there was no time to check the exposure. (I bought a Sekonic studio deluxe III for that purpose - it works great - also, I acquired the original Gossen Bolex Lightmeter now - it also does the trick!). 

Workflow was: Driving around with a rental car on 4 sunny days. Looking for nice places in Malta. My supercheap Tripod broke on the 2nd day. So that was extremely frustrating. I basically shot 2 roles a day. Meaning I had reload the Bolex in the rental car. In total darkness. Doing that the first times was a real adrenaline push. Haha. 

I hadn't even finished the lyrics to the song yet... so, yes, singing my song blasting out of a too quiet iPhone was not very sync-friendly. Funny enough we didn't really have problems with that in the editing stage. 

So, basically we just had this 80 dollar tripod, the BOLEX SBM H16 and 7 rolls of KODAK vision 50D. And a bag full of funny clothes!

Marlene was filming me when I didn't film her. And it was the first day she got to hold and use the Bolex. I guess she's very talented! 

I took the 7 rolls back home through the airport scan...no problems I think.... and send them off to germany for development. 

Yeah, so many things to do better next time...but honestly, I love the quirky approach and want to have a lot of imperfection in it! 

Ah, and what I forgot to say....I spend so many days trying to find more 16mm Bolex stuff....there´s just not enough out there!

Go and shoot !!!  This camera is so awesome!  (I didn't even have it cleaned or serviced yet). 

PS: Does someone know someone who could convert it to SUPER 16mm in Europe ?? 

Thanks, René 

• Like 1