FS: Aaton LTR

Matthew Pothier

I have an Aaton LTR that is in need of repair. The "mirror shaft" is broken according to Abel cine. Was quoted to be 2000$ to fix back in 2016. Has been sitting on my shelf in my office since then. 

Just curious if anyone would be interested in taking this project on, would sell for cheap. DM me for more details 

https://vimeo.com/165033134/abc3e4f42dhttps://vimeo.com/165033134/abc3e4f42d

This was from the last mag I put through it back in 2016 when I realized it had an issue. No idea how it broke to be honest, was quite devastating at the time since I was a young DP and had already sunk all my money into the camera. 

I will take some photos this evening when I get home 

33 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Does the camera run at all or does the mirror not spin at all. I wonder how you break that shaft, it's pretty darn robust. 

Also do you have a picture? 

Just ran a test, runs super quiet and the mirror seems to rotate fine, That is about the end of my knowledge when it comes to the inner workings of the camera unfortunately. Abels exact wording was "broken mirror shaft"  

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Giray Izcan said:

Wow... it sort of looks like a timing issue almost.

Yea, what happens is that there is a worm gear on the end of the shaft and it can rotate on its own if something fails. So what probably happened is that the shaft where it intersects with that gear has failed somehow. I'm doubtful it's that difficult of a fix. I've remedied these issues before no problem, its just about how long will the re-timing last. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Matthew Pothier said:

This was from the last mag I put through it back in 2016 when I realized it had an issue. No idea how it broke to be honest, was quite devastating at the time since I was a young DP and had already sunk all my money into the camera. 

Since you're local, why don't ya bring it over sometime and let me check it out. I'm pretty adept at fixing Aatons. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Since you're local, why don't ya bring it over sometime and let me check it out. I'm pretty adept at fixing Aatons. 

Tyler, that would be great!

I wont be back in town until late may/early june, but would definitely be willing to have you poke around at it. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Matthew Pothier said:

I wont be back in town until late may/early june, but would definitely be willing to have you poke around at it

I'll be here whenever you're ready! Can't promise anything, but I wouldn't try to sell it without a 2nd opinion. 

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, David Sekanina said:

if you need a part for the repair, let me know Tyler

oh if you got one, I may just buy to have a spare. 

Ohh and yes, that's what I think it maybe. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Sponsor
On 3/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, David Sekanina said:

hmm. the helical gear is pinned, so unless the pin broke, i don't see how the helical gear of the mirror shaft could get out of sync

453453.JPG.2f43523d5cf164aa5be67538b7b0c94c.JPG

On early cameras, the mirror shaft gear is retained by a 1.5mm pin. On later caemras it is held by a screw. Only full disassembly will reveal the problem. Mirror could be unstable on other end of shaft which is more difficult to address. 

8 minutes ago, Charles Pickel said:

On early cameras, the mirror shaft gear is retained by a 1.5mm pin. On later caemras it is held by a screw. Only full disassembly will reveal the problem. Mirror could be unstable on other end of shaft which is more difficult to address. 

Charles are you in Seattle? The camera is currently up there. If you are willing I could bring the camera for you to take a look at