Mimic Stadium Lights

Hello-

I’m looking to recreate the effect of a stadium light for a track running sequence. We are hesitant to use the actual stadium lights because we want it to be more dramatic and aren’t sure if we will be able to individually control each stadium light. (We don’t have the location yet)

We are shooting this scene at night but I am trying to figure out how much punch we’ll need. Is something like an Arri M40 enough punch/the right light in this situation? 

Any input is helpful.

-Danny

I think the best thing you can do is find a great location with stadium lights you can control. Shooting into the stadium lights is very dramatic and usually you can control each light tower individually so you can turn off the ones on the near side and shoot into them backlit. The real lights are great piece of production design as well, they look awesome in the deep background of shots. An M40 will do some work, but one M40 isn't going to light up the whole track. you'd need Dinos or 18k's to do that sorta thing way up high. that is a huge budget thing. If you need some fill or to shape the light on talent you could use M18's or M40's for tighter framings, but if you are shooting a person sprinting down the track I wouldn't count on lighting that with your lamps with out a very large budget or using a very small area of track. 

Another thing to consider is you may be able to shoot your wide shots at magic hour and get a little blue in the sky which is a very pretty look.

Often the best solution is the most simple, don't over complicate if you don't have to.

Edited by Albion Hockney

• Premium Member

Some basic questions: 

What angles are you shooting?

How wide do you need to see in your widest shots?

Are you shooting any slow motion shots? 

How stylized of a look are you going for? 

What camera system/lenses are you using? 

What’s your budget / G&E crew size situation? 

I think unless you’re shooting fairly narrow angles, I would consider going with tungsten Maxi Brutes or Dinos instead of HMIs, as you’ll get more spread over a larger distance.

They will basically do the same thing as the stadium lights, but you can place them where you like and turn off individual globes if you need less output. They’ll also look realistic from a distance as a stadium light source if they get into frame. 

17 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Some basic questions: 

What angles are you shooting?

How wide do you need to see in your widest shots?

Are you shooting any slow motion shots? 

How stylized of a look are you going for? 

What camera system/lenses are you using? 

What’s your budget / G&E crew size situation? 

I think unless you’re shooting fairly narrow angles, I would consider going with tungsten Maxi Brutes or Dinos instead of HMIs, as you’ll get more spread over a larger distance.

They will basically do the same thing as the stadium lights, but you can place them where you like and turn off individual globes if you need less output. They’ll also look realistic from a distance as a stadium light source if they get into frame. 

The plan is to remain fairly tight on the runner. We aren't planning to be too wide during this because it is also meant to be a dreamy sequence. The camera (alexa mini, cooke panchros) is going to be on a steadicam. 

We are going for a stylized look. Only a portion of the track will need to be lit up at any given time because the piece is centered around the approach to the start line, less the actual running of a race. We want to feel like we're in a dream, on a track. It doesn't have to be realistic necessarily. 

We aren't shooting any slow motion shots. We will have a gaffer and a grip dedicated to G&E, with other hands available to help.

There is still potential that the location would have ability to turn on/off individual stadium lights. From a color temp standpoint, would an HMI match if we wanted to supplement as a fill or edge?

even with the dream vibes and small portion of the track I'd fight hard for a location with control of the stadium lights. They will bring up your background too...if you just have lights on talent and shoot at night you might loose exposure on background so all the production design you have left is the track on the ground and then blackness behind it, but maybe that is good for what you want?

are you tracking with a moving runner on steadicam? I'd say even like an area of 50ft or so is a lot for one 4k.

If you get a place with Musco's which are pretty common they should be around daylight balance I'd have 1/4 and 1/8 flavors of CTB/CTO Green/Magenta just in case.

with only two on g/e even a couple 4k's is a lot to deal with, but a maybe one 4k could create a nice edge or wrap the stadium lights a little, especially as you say if your in a single position on the track.

If you go with no stadium lights Maxi's are a great option, but you'll need a big generator and more then two on your crew for sure. just mounting one of those takes two or three people and very heavy stands or scissor lift/condor especially if you want them at all high up in the air.

good luck, stadium locations are always awesome.