Shooting a CRT TV with Sony Venice. Sync Box?

Ben Kahn

Hi,

I'm shooting an old CRT TV, playing a video from a VCR. I'll be using the Sony Venice. I did a test with a Sony mirrorless and couldn't get rid of the rolling bars no matter what shutter I tried. I'm assuming it will have the same result with the Venice.

I know sync boxes are used for film cameras. Do they work for digital cameras as well? Or is there another solution.

Thanks for the help.

Ben

• Premium Member

The Venice is a rolling shutter camera.

Ben, on the Venice you should be able to use Synchro Scan to adjust the shutter angle or shutter speed in minute increments. Start with 1/60 sec (or 144.00 degree angle with 24fps) and adjust from there.

There is a device called tv sync box but I am not sure if you could use it with digital cameras. It was by Cinematagraphy Electronics. I suppose you could get one and take/send it to Andre for him to change the plug to whatever you want and then test. It should cost around 250-400 nowadays...

Edited by Giray Izcan

• Premium Member

@Ben Kahn, in the Shutter menu, you should have 3 options: Shutter Speed, Shutter Angle, and ECS Mode. ECS mode will allow you to scroll through the frequency in .1 increments. You can find your balance that way. I know this option is on Sony FX7 and FX9. The Venice should have the same mode.

Keep in mind that an excessive change from say 58 to 93.2 translates the same in light loss, as you're simply manually controlling the cycle rate of the shutter.

33 minutes ago, Stephen Sanchez said:

@Ben Kahn, in the Shutter menu, you should have 3 options: Shutter Speed, Shutter Angle, and ECS Mode. ECS mode will allow you to scroll through the frequency in .1 increments. You can find your balance that way. I know this option is on Sony FX7 and FX9. The Venice should have the same mode.

Keep in mind that an excessive change from say 58 to 93.2 translates the same in light loss, as you're simply manually controlling the cycle rate of the shutter.

Thanks Stephen!

I'll try this

iAs far as rolling shutters go the Venice is on par with an Alexa from what I've heard. I can't say for certain it will perform adequate for your needs, it will definitely make any dslr or mirrorless camera look like shite. However the Venice has been out for a few years now, so most likely someone somewhere was in a similar situation, best advice I can give is researching statements from people experienced with the Venice. I can't imagine that there aren't any operators that have shot the venice with a CRT monitor in the background somewhere, but what would I know, I can't say that I've shot on a Sony camera