DSLR (for stills) That handle RGB clipping well?

Max Field

Tried shooting RAW on my 5D Mark ii and a 1k with a strong purple gel was really clipping some color channels. The talent was over 8 feet away from the source too. This was pretty much raw off the sensor

9da5cbdd28da419d74122d48fbcb774e.png

Are all the DSLRs still like this? Are there advancements in still digital photos that someone could recommend me? I'm really bummed out my stuff came out like this.

I know film would immediately correct the issue, but a lot of times I can't get access to labs in a timely manner.

Thanks to any who can point out a good camera (preferably Canon)

4 hours ago, Max Field said:

Tried shooting RAW on my 5D Mark ii and a 1k with a strong purple gel was really clipping some color channels. The talent was over 8 feet away from the source too. This was pretty much raw off the sensor

9da5cbdd28da419d74122d48fbcb774e.png

Are all the DSLRs still like this? Are there advancements in still digital photos that someone could recommend me? I'm really bummed out my stuff came out like this.

I know film would immediately correct the issue, but a lot of times I can't get access to labs in a timely manner.

Thanks to any who can point out a good camera (preferably Canon)

Unfortunately, yes. I took some STILL photos just 2 days ago, and even in still pictures this happens. Sadly those DSLRs, however expensive they are, sucks balls at low light. 

Below is the photo I took at ISO 6400, same camera as yours 5D MK II. The lights are from the city's installations itself. So I doubt it had any jells whatsoever.

Now, I think it is useless unless at night. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 7.19.12 PM.png

Edited by Wendy Sanders McDonlad

49 minutes ago, Christopher Santucci said:

Gotta use that histogram, Max.

I correct the exposure on it and it just doesn't have the pop I want. Film technically blows out too, I just want digital to look better when it clips.

• Premium Member

It's not overexposure. Well it is, but it's overexposure of two channels only. The only way to fix this is to reduce the exposure of the light in question or reduce its saturation so it has the maximum saturation the system (including the camera and display) can handle, without clipping any channel. Or both.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:42 AM, Max Field said:

Are all the DSLRs still like this?

Yes, particularly the Canons. If you want the best possible image quality, buy a Fuji GFX 100s, or a Sony A7SIII, shoot RAW, and underexpose as much as you can get away with.

I am working on a general solution to this kind of problem, but I won't have the ability to do anything for several months. I will of course post my attempts on this site. Even if it isn't practical it might lead to something that is.