HDR Grading in Davinci Resolve 16 Studio - Workflow & Settings

Erik Krambeck

Hi

My question: Which settings and workflow for HDR grading in Davinci Resolve should I choose, if my HDR TV can display: HLG, HDR10, Dolby Vision? 

I have some experience in SDR grading in Davinci Resolve 16 Studio. Now I have bought a new 4K HDR SONY TV AG9 in 55 inch and I am interested in to finding out how to grade own footage (Slog 3)  in HDR and play it back on the Sony HDR TV. 

I tried today to grade three shoots  in Slog3 to HDR  in Davinci Resolve  and was confused with the different options, (HDR10, HLG, Rec 2020 etc). 
But I was able to output a H265 HDR  file which I could play back via an USB stick on the Sony TV, which rendered the picture more brilliantly than SDR.  

I could  connect the HDR TV SONY AG9  to the Davinci Resolve PC ( i9 9900K & Geforce 2080 graphics card) via HDMI as a second monitor. However, I am not 100% sure whether 10-bit signal is really transmitted. I am aware that the TV is not a class 1 monitor, and I do not want to do professional HDR grading. I just want to playfully gather HDR experience with material I have shot myself and play it back on the TV. An "island solution", so to speak. 

Do you have any tips on which HDR settings & workflow I should choose in Davinci Resolve? 

Thanks 

Erik

• 3 months later...