Searching for a tech’s name...

Ezra Bassin-Hill

I’m looking to do a super 16 conversion and Rick at Visual products suggest I try to find Eddie Boultersdorf (couldnt find his name of businesses.)

The clues I have is he is a Ny or NJ based shot which may have come back into business.

can anyone help me with his nake or contact? Thanks!

9 hours ago, Ezra Bassin-Hill said:

I’m looking to do a super 16 conversion and Rick at Visual products suggest I try to find Eddie Boultersdorf (couldnt find his name of businesses.)

The clues I have is he is a Ny or NJ based shot which may have come back into business.

can anyone help me with his nake or contact? Thanks!

Not sure about Eddie's contact info. But if you're in LA you should hit up Andree at AM Camera (661-433-7667). He was the lead tech at Clairmont for a very long time. He can do just about anything. 

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Ezra Bassin-Hill said:

Arri 16 st.

I hit you up on Facebook. 

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do without a lot of R&D. I know visual products made one, but if you read what they went through to make it, you'd see the problems. 

The S/M (which is what an ST is) is not a very easy camera to modify. Unlike many of the other spinning mirror reflex cameras, the shutter on the ST is sideways so the top of the shutter is the edge of the frame. When you increase the size of the gate for super 16, you would need to extend the shutter in order to cover that extension. I'm pretty certain, this can't be done without redesigning the shutter. There are dozens of other issues from the rollers/sprockets to the ground glass/viewfinder. The PL lens mount is also a huge issue because it would have to be entirely built from scratch. It's for sure doable, but the cost would be extraordinary, $4k easily. 

So yea, sorry for the bad news. Your best bet is to just keep shooting it the way it is and enjoy what you have. So many people put too much energy into super 16, but reality is it's only 1mm more real estate. It's not some crazy deal killer to shoot standard 16. I shot several films on standard 16 and matted them to 1.85:1 and with a decent cleaning/scan job, they look great. You'd never know. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell