Clicking noise from the movement part of an ARRI SR3. Old Film particles?

Moritz Moessinger

After a project last weekend, a more or less rhythmic clicking noise appeared in the front part of my Arri sr3 camera in all speeds (obviously it is slower in 5fps and super fast and loud with 75fps). It appears with and without a mag attached.

After some research, I assume a small part of film that ripped of the film might be stuck in the movement and creates that sound. Does anyone know if it is safe to remove the back plate holding the gate. The screws look pretty unused to me and I don't know if there are any tolerances etc. I have to mind when putting it back together. 

• Premium Member

You can remove the black plate around the gate but I wouldn't go any further - the position of the gate is usually set with a jig and gauge, and there are some screws that shouldn't be touched. 

If you turn the movement by hand with the inching knob can you feel a tight spot where the clicking happens? 

I would actually recommend sending it to a shop to check what the noise is - it could be something loosening that is interfering with the mechanics or mirror somehow. Arriflexes are not really made to be taken apart by the user unfortunately.

@Dom Jaegerthank you for the response! I will get in touch with a technician close to me, once he is back from his holidays ?

21 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

If you turn the movement by hand with the inching knob can you feel a tight spot where the clicking happens?

it feels like there might be a slight tight spot but since I have never paid that much attention to it when turning the knob, I am not sure if it is a significant change. Since the camera didn't take a hit or was handled inappropriately, I could imagine it either to be a tiny part of film or, as you are saying, something slowly starting to get loose.

Edited by Moritz Moessinger