?-- 23.98 NTSC to PAL for music videos

Jaan Shenberger

sorry if this is a little off topic, but i've posted this question at other site forums and gotten no reply...

when a music video is produced & edited for ntsc and shot at 23.98/24fps, what is the conventional method for conversion to 25fps pal?

the normal frame-for-frame/4% speedup method wouldn't work because of the music synchronization... anyone know what the pulldown/interpolation pattern is? is it the normal, yucky 60i to 50i method? or is there a special method that's used if the footage is 23.98 (with pulldown removed)? euro homies help me out...

thanks,

jaan

Edited by jaan

• Premium Member

Hi,

Most NTSC stuff that's delivered as 60i (which goes for older series of things like Star Trek) gets treated as normal NTSC and converted, which looks rough.

I don't know, but from the way it looks, 24p video series stuff is indeed done frame for frame and probably has the soundtrack repitched. This does look very much better. To keep on a star trek theme, the later Enterprise 24p episodes looked vastly sharper and nicer than any of the 35mm material.

Phil