Is it possible to loop a super 8 film on a video editor?

Clare West

Hi, I would like to loop a super 8 film on a video editor as part of an art installation and just wondered if it is possible? I have seen threads re. the same question and projectors but I am looking specifically for some kind of hand cranked system. Thanks in advance

If your loop is 50 cm it might work just like that. If it two meters you need to keep the material safe and need to guide through some rollers high up or feed it in a box to zigzag in and pull it out on the otherside. 
You might also attempt to use a projector loop device like the Norismat, GePe spool and what more. There are also modern more detailed design which manage the film caringly to reduce the wear. 

BTW you loop it by connecting the start to end using a splicer.

• Premium Member

You can do it, you'd need to splice the ends together using one of several methods for doing that, and figure out some approach to having the loop of film not drag all over things and get scratched. I'm not aware there's any very formalised way of doing that, it's just a case of figuring something out with some sort of system of rollers. If it's a short loop and it can just hang free in mid-air, that's fine, but if it's really long then you may have to figure out something more elaborate. Ideally, nothing should touch the picture area of the film.

The issue I see with this is that the film may wear out pretty quickly. Again, it depends how long it is and how long you're intending to run the installation for. If it's a ten-second loop and you want to run it all day, then it'll likely wear pretty quickly. If it's a one-hour loop, naturally, that's different, as it won't be looping past any one point on the film that frequently.

Thanks very much Phil. Yes wearing of the film is one of my concerns but it would only be as and when someone hand cranks the viewer...I have been looking for a digital version and came across the bioscope from commonplace but is a bit small for my purpose and not very covid friendly as has to be held up to face

• Premium Member

Aha, right, that probably works a bit more easily, then.

Either way you may want to look into ways of making backup copies of the film, which can be a bit tricky especially if you've shot it on reversal. There are probably ways.

• Premium Member

Back in the day we used to use mic stands to create audio tape loops...make the loop and pull a mic stand out to hold the loop's shape and size. Not sure if that would work with film...even a nice clean stainless steel mic stand might scratch film so some sort of roller system would probably be best.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 5:01 AM, Peter Larkson said:

Isn't it necessary to make the film digital before editing?

Ok, guys. I understood what you were talking about) I thought you need to edit your video and that's why I was wondering if it's even possible, but of course it's not. If you would have the digital version of your film I would suggest you using https://www.movavi.com/.

Edited by Peter Larkson