Bernie of Super 16 Inc. is retired.

I just spoke to Julie at Super 16 Inc. and she stated that they are no longer taking new work as Bernie O'Doherty has decided to retire. 

I'm just wanting to put this out there to keep the list of motion picture techs current.

Phil Forrest

• Upvote 1

It's true. In a reply email they provide a short list of alternates for the many services they were providing. Retirement is a natural thing and in this case it is particularly well earned. I really enjoyed dealing with both Bernie and Julie and they will be sorely missed.

Most cine film machinery is receding into history and so are those who know how to work on it. Who is in the next generation of mechanical repair and service technicians?

1 hour ago, Lee Rust said:

It's true. In a reply email they provide a short list of alternates for the many services they were providing. Retirement is a natural thing and in this case it is particularly well earned. I really enjoyed dealing with both Bernie and Julie and they will be sorely missed.

By the way, could you post the list you received here? I'm keeping a list of Eclair ACL techs here:

Here's the quote from Super 16 Inc:

We are no longer taking in any new jobs or answering technical questions via phone or email but hope that:

• the folks at Visual Products can help you with most 16mm equipment and adapters, etc., on this side of the pond
  • and Les Bosher across it.
  • For Russian equipment, you could try Olex Kalynychenko at olex.camera@gmail.com or http://slowmotioninc.com.
  • Andrew (Andrzej) Zorawski at AZ Spectrum repairs motors and provides video taps;
  • Dave Kutz (717) 587-9039) in Lancaster, PA, does focus gears for lenses;
  • Shurco Tool in Covina, CA, does photoengraving for ground glasses.
  • Jesse at Chambless Cine Equipment has parts for Bolexes, Beaulieus, and Super 8 cameras.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

To add to this topic, here's an email I received from Julie:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Since you wrote, life has become unrecognizable. Bernie just got transferred from a home hospice situation to a retreat for the terminally ill where they will be able to care for him in a way I no longer physically can. 

We went from him busily trying to catch up on pandemic equipment piled high everywhere to this, and we’re beyond being able to answer technical questions or anything like that now with the time he has left. He tried to help people as long as he could, but things are happening faster than I can adapt to easily.

I hope you will find other people who can answer your questions so you can have many happy shoots!

Please stay safe and healthy.

Cheers,
Julie

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for providing us all with such painful, personal details that had no bearing upon this overall thread. I'm sure Bernie and Julie had intended for their email to you to be shared with the world.

Phil Forrest

Edited by Philip Forrest

• Site Sponsor

We were so saddened to hear of Bernie's passing here at Visual Products. He was an absolute shining light in our industry and somehow through the somewhat mundane day to day business of keeping our industry plodding along through camera equipment modifications and service always made us smile when we heard his cheerful Irish accent peppered with a heaping dose of good spirited humor on the other end of the phone. Our hearts and condolences go out to Julie and his entire family. He will be so very missed the rest of our days-

• Like 5