FS: Zeiss S16 12-120mm T2.4 zoom (Optex Conversion)

Alec Moore

Hi folks,

Offering an Optex converted Zeiss S16 12-120mm T2.4 zoom lens in Arri B mount. 

Includes an Arri B to PL adapter, zoom lever and flight case. 

Price: €3000.00 plus shipping from the EU (Ireland).

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/iEtjmHY

More photos available on request too of course.

Feel free to contact me at alecpmoore@gmail.com if preferred.

Thanks!

DSCF5747 copy.JPG

Edited by Alec Moore
spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jack Berner said:

What’s the stop loss from the optex?

The original 10-100 is T2, the S16 factory converted 11-110 is T2.2 (a third of a stop slower), and the Optex 12-120 version is T2.4 (about half a stop slower). 

Edited by Dom Jaeger

3 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

The original 10-100 is T2, the S16 factory converted 11-110 is T2.2 (a third of a stop slower), and the Optex 12-120 version is T2.4 (about half a stop slower). 

Thank you Dom! I hadn’t realized the 11-110mm was just a factory conversion of the old N16 10-100mm.

Have you shot very much with the 12-120mm Optex? Saw a test video on YouTube that made the lens seem very much not parafocal, but maybe that was just operator error. I’ve also read that the 10-100 breathes pretty badly. Is the same true for the 12-120?

• Premium Member

I service and repair cine lenses, I don't shoot with them much, although I deal with client's footage all the time.

The zoom is parfocal, as all cine zooms are, subject to age-related wear. If a zoom has had a lot of use without regular maintenance the zoom cams can be worn, potentially causing focus to drop out mid-range. That's something a tech could diagnose.  But if you've seen tests that were soft it's probably more likely due to the back-focus being off (or the camera flange depth being out), which causes the focus to drift as you zoom out to the wide end. Or operator error, as you say - some people don't realize they should focus cine zooms at the long end (where it's most critical) and zoom out to the focal length desired. If they eye-focus at the wide end or mid-range, and then try to zoom in, it will very likely look soft.

The 10-100 does breathe a bit. Since the 12-120 is the same lens with just a 1.2x extender fitted to the back, it breathes just the same.

8 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I service and repair cine lenses, I don't shoot with them much, although I deal with client's footage all the time.

The zoom is parfocal, as all cine zooms are, subject to age-related wear. If a zoom has had a lot of use without regular maintenance the zoom cams can be worn, potentially causing focus to drop out mid-range. That's something a tech could diagnose.  But if you've seen tests that were soft it's probably more likely due to the back-focus being off (or the camera flange depth being out), which causes the focus to drift as you zoom out to the wide end. Or operator error, as you say - some people don't realize they should focus cine zooms at the long end (where it's most critical) and zoom out to the focal length desired. If they eye-focus at the wide end or mid-range, and then try to zoom in, it will very likely look soft.

The 10-100 does breathe a bit. Since the 12-120 is the same lens with just a 1.2x extender fitted to the back, it breathes just the same.

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Dom

• Premium Member

I have the Optex 12-120 and it's a great zoom. Short/small and fast enough at 2.4. Mine also has a macro feature that's super cool, I've used it quite a bit. Where I do prefer the Canon 11.5-165 that I also own, the Zeiss I do bring out quite a bit when I need a smaller lens because the canon is a tank. 

The 12-120 has only one major issue... close focus is like 5 feet. 

I'd send you footage, but honestly you'd never tell the difference between any of the lenses I have, they all look the same to my eyes. Reality is that film stock, scanning, colorist additions, they all make up more of a difference in the finished product than the lens does, as long as it's a crisp lens. I've used some horribly crappy lenses on my S16 shows and some high-end lenses and no difference can be seen shot to shot, scene to scene.

With that said, for this price it's worth it absolutely. You'd have to spend A LOT more money to get a better lens and it won't be this compact or work as well. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

Thanks for the comments Tyler. 

I'd just like to add that this version of the lens also has the macro function for close focusing. 

Would really like this lens to move on to someone who can put it to use so if anyone has an interest, do get in touch. 

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...