Creamsource vertex 8 Vs arri skypanel s60

Hello Folks, 

I am considering investing in some arri skypanels or some cream source vertex 8s

I wondered had anyone had any experience with the creamsource vertex 8s, on research they do seem to be a good alternative to a sky panel s60 and a built in ballast and a high IP rating makes them even more attractive. Also they seem to be a hard source to begin with which would be useful as it will give me both hard and soft light options. However they are not available to hire here in Ireland and I have no hands on experience with that brand. So I was looking for people who have experience with them and any feedback on them. 

On a job where we are using A LOT of Vortexes(and a lot more Skypanels). The Vortex are a great piece of kit, they tick a lot of boxes, and fix a lot of gripes I have with the Skypanels.

Personally I’d buy them any day over Skypanels. They are much more versatile and user friendly.

With the diffuser (either the flat, or domed) they are roughly the same output as a Skypanel, maybe a 1/4 stop brighter. Without the diffuser they become a different beast, especially with multiple heads grouped together. 

• Premium Member

I should say I've never used the Vortex on a job, and SkyPanels only rarely, but that's because I tend to carefully avoid SkyPanels. They've been through a few versions now but the stain of some rather dubious early engineering choices remains. There are better options and Vortex may be one of them.

• 4 weeks later...