Looking for Canon FD SSC 24mm 1.4 Aspherical

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Phillip Kaminiak said:

looking for a Canon FD SSC 24mm 1.4 Aspherical Photo lens .

Yes, you’re not alone there! Every man and his dog is looking for one of these, now that people have found they can make a sort of K-35 set with rehoused high-speed Canon FDs.

Here’s one on eBay, just a little over-priced ?:

218CD803-F125-4401-B532-9C95A2B4891B.thumb.jpeg.81f3e75c1854c34f17c166e600b1b431.jpeg

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

What on earth is so special about these things, anyway? Do they come with a free Caribbean island, or something?

Mine did, not sure about anyone else's.

For years of shooting still with Canon cameras, my 24/2.8 was my "normal" lens.  I just like the field of view and the look through it, though of course you have to be careful with angles and things because it's pretty wide.  It's got pretty deep DOF like any wide lens, so I always wanted the 1.4 Aspherical version to be able to combine my favorite lens with the occasional shallow focus when needed.

Then came the big digital revolution and analog abandonment in the 2000s, and I scooped up cheaply all those lenses I had lusted after for decades: 24/1.2 Aspherical, 55/1.2 Aspherical, 85/1.2 Aspherical, 300/2.8 Fluorite, 14/2.8 rectlinear, 7.5/5.6 fisheye, 35/2.8 tilt-shift, and others.  All in breechlock versions, like I preferred, except for the 14 (never made that way) and the 7.5 (couldn't pass up the screaming deal on the new-FD version.)

Since we may never see a bargain time like that again for those lenses, I'm never giving them up.  See my survivors at the estate sale if you want them.

Duncan

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Well, if you ever want to pay off your mortgage early, there are other 24mm f/2.8 lenses out there.

Haha, I also grabbed a couple of spares of that during my bargain basement frenzy :-) 

Duncan