Clamp on Matte Box, Lightweight, 3d printed.

Hi, 

Working as camera assistant I came across combination of RED Monstro 8K VV and Sigma FF lenses. All good, except 14mm… That marks beginning of Compact Matte Box.

I have found this type of product very useful in various fast pacing situations as wll great for gimbals and other lightweight setups. 

www.nd9.eu

Available for 80/95/110/114 mm size as well 14mm Sigma prime. Custom size and solutions also available, If any questions please write Contact form

_DSC5635.jpg

SLIDE-2.jpg

Edited by Emils Skrivelis

Hi Emils, this looks good! 

A few questions come to mind. I can send you an email but it might be good to post it here as others might have the same questions.

- I use a lot of different sized filters (3x3, 4x4, 4x5.65), would it be an idea to offer adapters to fit 3x3 and 4x4 filters inside the MB designed for 4x5.65?
- Similar question: can the 4x4 MB hold similar sized 100x100x2 filters?
- Are you thinking of offering side flags?
- Are you thinking of offering adapters for different sized lens barrels? Maybe even for non standard sizes so the MB could be used with stills lenses as well?

On 6/14/2021 at 2:15 PM, Baltasar Thomas said:

Hi Emils, this looks good! 

A few questions come to mind. I can send you an email but it might be good to post it here as others might have the same questions.

- I use a lot of different sized filters (3x3, 4x4, 4x5.65), would it be an idea to offer adapters to fit 3x3 and 4x4 filters inside the MB designed for 4x5.65?
- Similar question: can the 4x4 MB hold similar sized 100x100x2 filters?
- Are you thinking of offering side flags?
- Are you thinking of offering adapters for different sized lens barrels? Maybe even for non standard sizes so the MB could be used with stills lenses as well?

Hi, thanks for questions.

1) Filter sizes, it could be an options, though making something to fit firmly is tricky, measuring filters around various rentals and brands, they differ. Existing design will fit most of filters i have seen, for example clear crash filters are 5mm thick, NDs 4mm.. Older Tiffens may differ up to 2mm in dimensions.. I would just make specific MB for such filters.

2) 100x100x2 filters should fit, thanks to clamping design. 

3) haven't thought about side flags, for most situations with side flags I tend to use LMB or studio styl mattebox. This is made pureley with thought to be light and easy to use with Intension to replace filter taping. 

4) That type of design is in process, though need to sell some mattebox to buy 3d printer that can print 2 different materials and then combine rubber with hard plastic to create working design. 

For still lenses you can have smallrig or tilta with thread adapters.. plus even 4x4 filter in most cases is to heavy for photo lens and mount itself (except of course for locking type.. Though could think of 15mm rod adapter version to use with still lenses. 

5) !!! HUGE PRICE REDUCTION as well 4x4 95mm coming soon!!

https://nd9.eu/shop/

19 hours ago, Travis Shannon said:

Building on Baltasar’s comment a clamp on straight to 138 would also be very useful for close up diopter work, that’s something I would definitely add to my kit.

That is dream of mine as well. hopefully soon will finish design. Still need to figure out best way for clamping. 

Hi Emils, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I agree that for stills lenses a clamp on wouldn't be the most obvious choice with 4x4 and larger/heavier filters. However, if the lenses are mounted solid a light weight MB like this could mean I wouldn't have to even mount rods on my rig a lot of the time and keep the setup very light and nimble. It's not how you intended the product but I think it might be a great solution. 

One more question popped up now that I'm taking another look at the 4x4 MB: is it possible to order that one with a top flag as well?

On 6/15/2021 at 4:52 PM, Baltasar Thomas said:

Hi Emils, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I agree that for stills lenses a clamp on wouldn't be the most obvious choice with 4x4 and larger/heavier filters. However, if the lenses are mounted solid a light weight MB like this could mean I wouldn't have to even mount rods on my rig a lot of the time and keep the setup very light and nimble. It's not how you intended the product but I think it might be a great solution. 

One more question popped up now that I'm taking another look at the 4x4 MB: is it possible to order that one with a top flag as well?

Always curious how others work and use equipment. For still lenses i put my hands down for tilta mini. Though I have made custom fitting for sony still lenses where it clamps on lens body. 

I don't have plan right now to make 4x4 with top flag. Though I will put this idea in wish list. 

• 3 months later...