Wanting to buy my first light meter

I've been doing mostly videography work and no budget indie stuff for the last 14 years, but I'm wanting a light meter to take a step towards more controlled shooting. I'm gearing up to do more DP work currently.

At film school we used the old sekonic combination cine meters, but these don't seem to be sold anymore.

I did research a number of years ago, but a lot seems to have changed since then.

I really hate the idea of the touch screens on the new Sekonic meters, although I've never used one personally.

Should I just bite the bullet and get a new Spectra Cine IV on backorder from Bhphoto?

I'm concerned about buying anything used, as I live in New Zealand and I'm not sure if I can get it tested and calibrated here.

I want something that should last me at least the next 5 years or so.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Harrie

I did a meter update last year and got a Sekonic L858 and C800. 

Im really enjoying both of them. You can’t ask for much more from an exposure meter than what the L858 delivers. The touch screen takes a little getting used to, especially coming from older meters, but once you do get used to it and set it up for how you want to work you struggle going back.

The build quality is really nice, the only thing I don’t particularly like is sekonic’s horizontal position meter pouches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sekonic L-398A. Very, very primitive, and not really usable in the very low light modern cameras can handle, but very informative about just how exposure works. Uses a mechanical calculator to work out exposure based on the meter reading. Not something you want as a daily driver in the modern world, but a great learning tool.

I really love the old analogue Sekonic L-398(A).  Rugged, reliable, a great backup meter and a great learning tool. And until recently, really cheap.  The exp calculation from the reading is done with the dial on the body and is just routine.

The sensitivity of modern digital cameras may marginalize it a bit now. At 800ASA shooting a tad down on T2 with only 8 fc, the scales on the meter are getting hard to meaningfully read at 8 and below. So Phil is right, I suppose. But "primative" is very unkind, and "very, very primitive" is.......

Hendrikus, I bought one of these cheap for my son not long ago and he isn't using it. If you want to try it out for a sew days,  PM me  (upper right, envelope icon).

Gregg. 

Thanks everyone!

I actually found a used Spectra Cine IVa on eBay. Should arrive next week, so hopefully it's in good condition.

I like the look of the analogue meters, they have that steampunk vibe. But I think in practicality it would frustrate me. Especially on lower budget stuff where I'm constantly riding the ISO.

• Upvote 1