Is this an audio or image scanner?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
8 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Looks like a optical sound reproducer for reading soundtracks from prints.

Not sure the make.

Can't help but feel that if it needs that bit of blackwrap (or whatever it is) taped to it, the optical head design is a little suspect.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

How much are machines that can read optical sound? (sprocketless transport)  I can capture sound with AEO Light, but I'd rather have a machine for it if I can't get a sound scanner.

There are optical readers for the old 35mm/16mm fullcoat mag dubbers. I'd be happy to sell you an MTE dual-head dubber if you're interested, crazy cheap but you'd have to arrange for shipping out of Boston (freight, and it's bulky). But, needs a lot of work because we disassembled it, when we were planning to make it into a film scanner. You'd need to source an optical reader for it though, as we only have mag heads for that unit. 

• Premium Member

Actually, this could be picture, I've seen one very similar before. It's made on an old magnasync chassis because they're really robust. It uses a prism and it's designed for dailies only. The concept was a low-cost way to get SD dailies onto your Betacam tape during the day of avid editing. For sure a "poor" option for modern scanning, but I guess people didn't have much of an option in the late 80's when those things were made. The guys over at Christys had one and I mucked around with it, not something worth discussing, but cool. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell