Mattebox for aaton cameras

Walt van der Aar

Hi!

I bought a chrosziel mattebox (compact wide angle housing 4:3) to use on both the aaton LTR and Penelope. When I tried using it I noticed it is off-center (too low and too far to the assistent side) on both cameras. I also used my friends chrosziel mattebox and had the same problem (other model). Is this something common when using the Aaton rods, or is it a chrosziel thing? Unfortunately I can't adjust the height nor the horizontal placement.

Which matteboxes are you (succesfully) using on Aatons?

Thanks!  

• Premium Member

I've actually had no problem with my chrosziel box, works like gang busters with the built-in rail system on my XTR and 35III.

Can you show some pix of the box and the problem? You for sure need a box that has the center mount and is not fold out.  

13 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

I've actually had no problem with my chrosziel box, works like gang busters with the built-in rail system on my XTR and 35III.

Can you show some pix of the box and the problem? You for sure need a box that has the center mount and is not fold out.  

Thanks for your help. After fiddling around some more I noticed the matteboxes are only a little too low on the Penelope but are in fact in the middle. However on my LTR they are noticeably too low and too far to the left. Maybe it is a problem with the LTR (little older than the XTR)? In the picture you can see what I mean. (The picture is taken as parallel as possible)

1011251397_Schermafbeelding2021-07-24om12_55_26.png.0b05d622ba171e97df68cafb55715060.png  1762756760_Schermafbeelding2021-07-24om13_02_59.png.add9bcb70bf36ffdf202ecf6229ddd28.png

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Walt van der Aar said:

Thanks for your help. After fiddling around some more I noticed the matteboxes are only a little too low on the Penelope but are in fact in the middle. However on my LTR they are noticeably too low and too far to the left. Maybe it is a problem with the LTR (little older than the XTR)? In the picture you can see what I mean. (The picture is taken as parallel as possible)

1011251397_Schermafbeelding2021-07-24om12_55_26.png.0b05d622ba171e97df68cafb55715060.png  1762756760_Schermafbeelding2021-07-24om13_02_59.png.add9bcb70bf36ffdf202ecf6229ddd28.png

Yea swing away matte boxes don't work properly on these cameras using the built-in rails. They have a slightly different alignment height wise to deal with the arm for the swing away. I've never found one that's even remotely close to working. I had to resort to a non-swing away box and it fits nearly perfectly. It's still not 100% centered, but MUCH better than your setup. 

My swing away is a studio 15mm kit which I use on my dovetail and bridge plate and it's perfect. 

This is what I use for my cameras on the built-in rail kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112995223398?hash=item1a4f0a4766:g:Os8AAOSwlndZAkCw

Thanks for all the replies. I went to my friend that owns a LTR too and checked with his accessories. He has a different rods support system. I compared mine with his and they seem to be different. Maybe mine is a standard 16 model? I don't know...

Will try to get a new one like this: http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail02.asp?productID=2057&Cat=3&Cat2=33

Thanks again. Cheers.