Modern Super35 zooms on an SR3

I'm in the process researching lens options for an SR3 I recently purchased and thought I would reach out for some guidance. My first impulse was to look for a Canon 8-64, as I'm familiar with it and it has always been a workhorse for me. I've just posted in search of a 6.6 x 66 Canon actually. But with the emergence of several Super35 short/wide-angle zooms I've been considering this as a possibility to cover the longer end of the focal length. So for example, up for consideration is the Tokina 11-20, or the Sigma 18-36, or the DZOFilm. There are other possibilities no doubt. These new lenses seem fairly lightweight, well made, and compact, qualities that appeal to me as a one man show, so to speak. I'd then supplement with wider lenses, 9.5mm or 12mm...TBD.

But I'm wondering what I might expect in terms of the differences in the optics of these newer lenses, generally, compared to the optics of those famous Canon lenses, and slapped onto an SR. Will I see that they are sharper, even as Super35 lenses on Super 16? More contrasty? Obviously I'm aware of the differences related to formats i.e. field of view, crop factor. And I have to admit I'm interested in trying these new lenses, just to get away from a "look" that I'm already so familiar with. I want to lean towards sharpness, and draw less attention to soft retro old school, if possible. Any insight appreciated! Thank you.  

• Premium Member

I've used the Sigma 18-35 on my S35mm Aaton III and wasn't impressed. It's not parfocal, it's zoom range isn't enough for anything really, just saves a few seconds of time and I'm not in love with the sharpness either. It didn't seem to be any different than the classic Cooke 20 - 100 I've used on a few shows recently. I don't think the modern lenses are "all that", they're all way lower quality than the classic cine lenses, way lower quality. 

I use Rokinon Xeens as my main S35mm lens and have used them on the Aaton XTR a bit before, not anything to write home about either. 

So yea, I'd just buy the canon. It's a much nicer lens, excellent quality, crisp as all get out and you get a great zoom range. I have the 11.5-165 and just used it on my little doc that came out so great, what a nice lens! 

Thanks for that overview. Really nice film and great looking, absolutely. 

Finding a Canon is definitely the direction I'm leaning. I know it well. And then the thought occurs to me to just supplement it with a newer S35 lens for more reach if needed. Thanks again.   

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Tyler, what a great little film! Well done!! I really enjoyed watching it. The look is really gorgeous. I like how you intercut Super 8 with the 16mm, too. You have, I think, inspired me to keep my Super 8 camera, rather than sell it.

• Upvote 1