Have you seen much inflation with your cine' / photo staples / gear?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I'm not buying much gear nowadays. But my staples have skyrocketed for the most part.

100gb M-disc has gone from $241 to $298 per 25 disc spindle.

My ink has gone from $52 - $54 per cartridge to $74 - $80. My printer uses 9 cartridges.

Blu-ray 25gb M-disc has gone from $52 to $80 per 25 disc spindle.

4.7gb M-disc was discontinued. eBay has some from scalpers at almost triple the original price.

4.7gb name brand DVD's are still inexpensive at .22 each. 

These are all recent jumps.

Another big hit for me was when they started to charge sales tax for internet purchases...it all adds up!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Premium Member

Gosh, still using ink, blu rays, DVD's and M-Disc's? 

Is this 1998? lol ?

But yea, pricing on everything has been going up. I was shocked when Kodak raised their prices AGAIN this year. So that means price increases 3 years in a row. The labs all raised their prices as well, but by very small margins. 

What replaces ink? Silver based paper is not practical for my work, especially printing artist's books. 

Anyway, a guy told me maybe the ink shot up because each cartridge has a chip. Maybe? Or just greed? But each cartridge does have a big gold plated contact.

M-Disc?

The whole Archive and my personal work is library based on optical disc. Optical M-Disc and quartz are the only two archival means of preserving digital. Elon Musk has quartz, but he is not sharing the tech. He sent a disc into space for the aliens. Blu-ray (BD-R) is also pretty archival. Although it will hold up to a year of sun and has a claimed 50 year life, I don't count on them as much as M-Disc. But I use them as secondary backups.

...I'm still playing CDs from the mid 1980's!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finalizing my last mailing promotion of the year planned for mid October and sketching out the 2022's mailings. I usually send cards out every 2 to 3 months.

I was looking for some more paper for next year as I'm running low.  I use letter size Moab Juniper Baryta Rag paper for RPPC mailings of my films, artist's books, photography, etc. It has gone up from $99.98 to $114.61 per 100 sheet box.

1447347036_1197970.jpg

I cut it down to 4x6 post card size and get 300 cards per 100 sheet box. So it is not too bad of an increase on a pro rata basis. 

The Hahnemühle FineArt Baryta is some of the best paper out there. It would be my first choice. But the German paper has really skyrocketed. It has gone up about $44 per 100 sheets of letter size paper.

1627478137_802394.jpg

For RPPC's that many curators just trash as soon as they get them,  I can get by with the cheaper Moab paper. But I'd never use the Moab for final prints.