Tripod suggestion? Heavy duty, but not top of the line O’Conner with high and low legs.

Eirik Heim

Hi,

I am a cinematographer who also own two camera packages, different lens packages and what is needed to do short films and some commercial productions as well. 

Seems like I will be delivering equipment to a small tv-series in Northern Norway. While I love working with something like a O’Connor 2575 and Ronford Baker high and low legs plus hi-hat, that is hard to use in other productions I do mostly with a much smaller crew and sometimes a one to two man band crew. I might get a great deal on something like a Miller Cineline 70 with two set of legs or combolegs. Anyone tried higher end Miller tripods? Only used a small one a long time ago with a dslr..

Other suggestions? I would love Mitchell base or 150mm bowl or option for both. The grip I work with most of the time uses Mitchell.

Payload:

I have a Arri Alexa Mini and a Red Epic W with Arri cages. I have a set of the new Cooke Panchros and Atlas Orion. Normally have the usual stuff mounted like cforce motors, on board monitor, wireless video transceiver, v-lock batteri and so on. 

I do have a Manfrotto Tripod as well which I can use instead on one man band stuff which has a good head, just not that good legs.

• Premium Member

something like the old sachtler video25 or 30 should be great for this and can be purchased used. that should give you a good mid-range kit without costing a fortune and for bigger productions you can always rent if needed

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Brian Drysdale said:

I've got an old Sachtler Horizon - a film version  of the video25. It has handled an Arr 35 III with a Cook Zoom without any problem. Although not cheap, Sachtle carbon fibre legs reduce weight, 

Oh nice! I got a similar tripod, works great!