Shooting day for dusk 16mm on water

Ruben Woodin

Hi, i was wondering if anyone might have any tips on shooting day for dusk. Im shooting a feature with alot set out to sea, and the director wants alot of that to be set at dusk. I will probably shoot 50D. Would it be as simple as to take it down in the grade or would it be worth underexposing in camera. Id want to schedule it around an overcast day, were shooting in scotland so this shouldnt be a problem:)

I read somewhere a good day for night trick around water would be a pola to take out some of the reflections of the sky, not sure if theres any thoughts on that:)

cheers!

I think I would put some flat light on the faces etc, allowing the exposure to be reduced and the sky/sea darkened.  And I'd use ND to allow me to focus near, rather than on the background....which I prefer soft as it appears at dusk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Not sure I'd agree with using fast film if going for a dim soft underexposed look, in 16mm you are already risking some muddiness.  I'd stick to 50D but timed for a bluer look, or 200T without the 85 filter.  Underexpose a little then time it even darker.  You could, for example, shoot a grey card / scale 1-stop overexposed at the head of the roll and tell the colorist to transfer that to normal brightness, then everything that follows will have been brought down by 1-stop. Add a warming filter as well when shooting the grey card / scale and pull it for the footage and it should appear bluer.

Hard to avoid the sky on open water unfortunately.  I'd bounce a lot of fill into the faces, or a side key, so that once everything is darkened, their faces don't go silhouette. You could try an ND attenuator grad filter at least to help bring down the top of the frame without a strong grad line.

Also, use heavy NDs to avoid shooting stopped down, real night photography would not have been shot deeper than f/4, and often more like f/2.8.