Not sure what model Aaton I own... Help, anyone?

Lance Lucero

I have an Aaton LTR.  The model number on the camera is C 268.  This model does not match the specs of the 32, 54, or 7.  I cannot match the model to anything online or in any manual.  Can anyone help me identify what the proper model of the camera is?  I would like to try and find the proper manual for the camera. 

I have attached a pic of the back of the camera. 

Thanks.

Aaton_gate_low_.jpg

• Premium Member

it is likely an early Ltr7. my C4XX is still an 7 but it has the video tap port so the xlr power connector is moved down to make room for the video port. the gate looks the same except mine is S16 modified. the speed selector and the light meter selector on the bottom look the same as well as the lights and 4pin connector. So I would say it is a very early ltr7

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Baltasar Thomas said:

@Tyler Purcell Tyler, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to identify it?

Aaton's were all hand made and many were sent back for upgrades, retaining their original serial number. I believe what we have here is an ORIGINAL LTR 7, not an upgraded one like we see all over the place. The interesting parts outside of the power rail, are the gasket on the gate vs magazine. I have personally never seen that before outside of JP's prototypes. All the LTR 7's I've seen have standard ol' LTR gates, just like the LTR/XTR/Xtera's. So this is for sure a cool camera. Very different than what MOST LTR 7's we see today. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

yes it seems they did all kinds of mods and stuff. My LTR7 has the video tap port added (end the beamsplitter adjustment screw on the side too though the pellicle itself is broken) . it is S16 with hard PL mount but the speeds, viewfinder etc. are original 

51369854336_d758f24e5c_h.jpg

51370858375_b0d7a80ddb_h.jpg

Note how the battery connector and battery lock, etc. is reversed to make room for the video tap port

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 11:47 AM, aapo lettinen said:

yes it seems they did all kinds of mods and stuff. My LTR7 has the video tap port added (end the beamsplitter adjustment screw on the side too though the pellicle itself is broken) . it is S16 with hard PL mount but the speeds, viewfinder etc. are original 

51369854336_d758f24e5c_h.jpg

51370858375_b0d7a80ddb_h.jpg

Note how the battery connector and battery lock, etc. is reversed to make room for the video tap port

So far AbelCine and Cine Facilities have not been able to identify the camera.   They just say it's a really old experimental version.  I'm still skeptical if the camera actually has a fuse.  AbelCine says the fuse might be behind the XLR4 connector.  I'm not opening it up to find out.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Lance Lucero said:

So far AbelCine and Cine Facilities have not been able to identify the camera.   They just say it's a really old experimental version.  I'm still skeptical if the camera actually has a fuse.  AbelCine says the fuse might be behind the XLR4 connector.  I'm not opening it up to find out.

Yep, that's why I said, I haven't seen one similar outside of JP's prototypes. Got a magazine we can look at?

Okay, a buddy of mine found this spec sheet for the Aaton 7.  It's soooo close to the model that I have.  Too bad it's not in English.  But, I was able to see that the Aaton 7 has a fuse.  Page 115 (first page), item number 6, the Sicherung (fuse) 6 A.  My model does not have a screw opening for a fuse like that ANYWHERE on the body.

http://www.lusznat.de/cms1/index.php/kinomuseum-muenchen/gerhard-fromm-s-sammelblaetter/aaton-7-16mm-sammelblatt