Kodak 3378 in caffenol, development time for slow films?

Hi I am experimenting with shooting kodak 3378 sound film in my Krasnogorsk-3. I was wondering if anyone could share any tips for processing? It was shot in bright sunlight at 12 ASA using an incident light meter. I will be processing it myself in Caffenol. Having never developed such a slow film before I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction regarding development timing. I've never quite grasped the relationship between film speed and development time and basically just arrived at timings via trial and error, hopefully someone can help me understand. Is there a good rule of thumb?

• Premium Member

a good rule of thumb is to start with the rough generic time suitable for any other "normal" film type and check out what the outcome is, then adjust from there. most available b/w films create a perfectly usable image if developed something around 5 to 6 minutes in a fresh developer so I would consider it as a generic base if handling unknown film type.

there is basic developing suggestions in the datasheet of this film type... you should always check the datasheets first when trying out new film types. Seems that they suggested 4 minutes in D97 so I would try 4 or 5 minutes in coffenol and would adjust according to the first results