The old time animation was something...Popeye 1935

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Yes, some nice films in the collection...thanks.

I couldn't stand it. It is not like the L.O.C. is broke. What is wrong with them? Is it just a job with them and no love for it? Or too hard to do anything due to 'paperwork'? 

I used the L.O.C. for many projects, but have had lots of problems. They got a poor search service. They offer no access for the good stuff unless you visit. Or if lucky you get 2 choices...a super low res JPEG or a super high size, but that great TIFF.

You should tell them to model themselves like the Getty Museum Open Content Collection. They got a great search and offer super high, res high quality JPEGS. 

Maybe the L.O.C. did a lot of their copy stand work in the film era and Getty used digital,  but Getty's I.Q. is very good. I never looked for video at the Getty, will have to check it out.

Have you seen 'The Tantilizing Fly'...1919?

I hope to get a decent copy of it to upload. A lot of the copies are poor quality, so I don't like being associated with them. But original films are near impossible to find. And if you do find a copy, it is unaffordable.  

They have a fantastic animation in Popeye's 'Bridge Ahoy.' Popeye reconstructs a bridge over a river with a giant horseshoe magnet as he flies over the river. Those early Popeye cartoons from the 30's were fantastic.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.