Lenses for the 16s

NateMcDaniel

I just got an Arri 16s and I'm looking for some lenses. So far the only ones that I can find with Arri standard mounts are Schneider Xenons and Angenieux zooms. Is it possible to use an adapter on the 16s for lenses without the standard mount? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for some Arri standard lenses? Thanks!

• Premium Member

Because of the fairly deep flange depth (52mm) and smallish mount diameter of Arri Standard mount, you won’t find many lenses that can be adapted to fit your camera. The later 16S/B model has a single Bayonet mount as well as two Standard mounts, which opens up lens choice considerably, but unfortunately Arri Bayonet mount lenses won’t fit in a Standard mount camera.

There are however plenty of lenses in Arri Standard mount. The common primes for 16mm format were Cooke Kinetals and Schneiders, but there was also Angenieux 5.9mm, Kinoptik 5.7mm and the 8mm Zeiss mentioned above. The Cooke Kinetals are excellent lenses for a 16ST.

You can also use 35mm format lenses that came in Arri Standard mount, like Cooke Speed Panchros, Zeiss standard speeds (16, 25, 32, 50 and 85), and other primes by Angenieux, Schneider or Kinoptik. Harder to find are primes by Rodenstock, Kilfitt, Astro-Berlin, Meyer Gorlitz, and others.

Angenieux made some 16mm format zooms in Standard mount, as did Som Berthiot, and there are also 35mm format zooms by Angenieux, Cooke, Som Berthiot and Kilfitt.

• Premium Member

Here’s a selections of some of the lenses available for a 16S in 1961:

https://issuu.com/filmmaker8.com/docs/arriflex-16-catalog-1961/8

Another option I forgot to mention which I have seen in Arri Standard mount, if you can find them, are CP Ultra T lenses, which were high quality, high speed 16mm format lenses made by Kowa.

• Premium Member

The Arriflex 16 is a turret camera. It excels by compactness and versatility when used with prime lenses. Due to its large bottom surface it makes a perfect stand on the support. I hope you have an example with feet-frames counter. The metric counter is not exact.

At normal focal length the choice of lenses can become religious. Some swear on French, some on British, and others on German glass. As a matter of fact, the differences can only be seen on the very finest grained films, if at all. Actually, you can’t find a lesser lens in ARRI standard mount, no Petzval type, no Ernostar derivative, no triplet, although many like the respective characters.