RED's New V-RAPTOR 8K VV

News

RED Digital Cinema Launches Next Generation DSMC3 Camera System with New V-RAPTOR 8K VV

RED DIGITAL CINEMA® unveiled the new V-RAPTORTM  8K VV camera today, launching its first entrant into the next generation DSMC3 platform. Building on RED’s bold dedication to advancing image quality, the camera is RED’s most powerful to date. It features the highest dynamic range, fastest cinema-quality sensor scan time, cleanest shadows, and highest frame rates of any camera in RED’s lineup. It is designed to provide unmatched performance for a variety of shooting scenarios.

2045983755_V-RAPTOR8KVV.thumb.jpg.ece88ea7a660ff35741f2434de8eef43.jpg

Priced at $24,500, a white ST version of the camera is available today for purchase via RED.com or from any one of RED’s authorized premium dealers while supplies last. The black version will be available in larger quantities before the end of 2021. RED also announced a forthcoming XL camera body will be released in the first half of 2022. The XL will be ideally suited for studio configurations and high-end productions, based on feedback to the RED RANGER body style.

V-RAPTOR features a multi-format 8K sensor (40.96mm x 21.60mm) with the ability to shoot 8K large format or 6K Super 35. Joining its predecessor, the MONSTRO 8K VV sensor, this unique in-camera option for impactful visual storytelling allows shooters to leverage any of their large format or S35 lenses with the push of a button and always deliver at over 4K resolution.  

The V-RAPTOR far exceeds previous sensor capabilities, presenting users with the option to capture 8K full sensor at up to 120 frames per second (150fps at 2.4:1), 6K up to 160 fps (200fps at 2.4:1), and 2K (2.4:1) at an incredible 600 frames per second, while still capturing over 17 stops of dynamic range. 

“V-RAPTOR is more than just its specs. It is a reflection of the ferocity of our team, who have spent the last two years forced apart. Through everything, we found a way to work together closer and better than ever before, fueled by the incredible passion and support of our community of filmmakers. V-RAPTOR takes an impressive array of silicon, seemingly from the future, and mashes it together with pieces of the heart and soul of every RED camera that has come before it.” — Jarred Land, President, RED Digital Cinema 

V-RAPTOR, as with the other cameras in RED’s ecosystem, harnesses RED’s proprietary REDCODE RAW codec, allowing users to capture 16-bit RAW and leveraging RED’s latest IPP2 workflow and color management tools.  

This highly anticipated DSMC3 camera is built on a newly integrated and modernized form factor while featuring a robust professional I/O array that includes two 4K 12G-SDI outputs, XLR audio with phantom power capability via adapter, and built-in USB-C interface allowing for remote control, ethernet offload, and more. All features are packaged in a compact, rugged, water, and dust resistant design that measures 6 x 4.25 inches and just over 4 pounds. Other highlights include an RF lens mount with locking mechanism; wireless control and preview via Wi-Fi; phase detection autofocus; and a newly designed and easy-to-navigate integrated display, located on the side of the camera, which allows for comprehensive controls, including in-camera format selection, customized buttons, status updates, and more. 

As with RED’s most recent camera, the RED KOMODO 6K, V-RAPTOR utilizes the updated and streamlined REDCODE® RAW settings (HQ, MQ, and LQ) to enhance the user experience with simplified format choices optimized for various shooting scenarios and needs.

Additional features include data rates up to 800 MB/s using RED branded or other qualified CFexpress media cards; integrated micro v-mount battery plate; a 60mm fan for quieter and more stable heat management; and wireless connectivity via the free RED Control app, which is available now for iOS and Android devices.

“We at RED are truly thrilled to finally show off V-RAPTOR to the filmmaking community around the globe. The fact that we are introducing yet another groundbreaking camera into the market is a testament to the hard work and dedication of all the employees across the board at RED. It is simply a part of our DNA to continue the brand's legacy of disrupting the industry and providing filmmakers with the most advanced tools possible to unleash their wildest creative ideas without ever compromising.” — Jamin Jannard  

Also announced today from RED is a comprehensive array of first-party and co-designed accessories. The engineering team at RED worked closely with industry-leading partners such as SmallHD, Angelbird, Core SWX, and Creative Solutions to create and produce purpose-built products specifically to work with V-RAPTOR.

Available accessories include:

• DSMC3 RED® Touch 7” LCD monitor
  • V-RAPTOR™ Wing Grip
  • RED® PRO CFexpress 660GB and 1.3 TB (available soon) media cards
  • RED® CFexpress Card Reader
  • REDVOLT® MICRO-V Battery Pack
  • RED® Compact Dual V-Lock Charger

RED is also launching a pre-bundled V-RAPTOR Starter Pack option that comes with:

• DSMC3 RED® Touch 7” LCD
  • RED® PRO CFexpress 660GB Card
  • RED® CFexpress Card Reader
  • 2x REDVOLT® MICRO-V Battery Pack
  • RED® Compact Dual V-Lock Charger
  • 2x V-RAPTOR™ Wing Grips
  • EXT to T/C Cable

Later in 2021, along with the launch of the black V-RAPTOR, an additional pre-bundled Production Pack option will be available. It will come with a robust accessory package that includes the DSMC3 RED Touch 7” LCD monitor, 2x RED Pro CFexpress 660GB Cards, RED CFexpress USB-C Card Reader, 4x RED Mini V-Lock 98Wh Batteries, RED V-Lock Charger, V-RAPTOR Tactical Top Plate with Battery Adapter; V-RAPTOR Expander Module; V-RAPTOR Top Handle; V-RAPTOR Quick Release Platform Pack; RED Production Grips; V-RAPTOR Side Ribs; and a DSMC3 RED® 5-Pin to Dual XLR Adaptor. 

In addition, a RED® RF-PL Adapter with an electronic ND filter will soon be available via RED.com and authorized dealers.

For more information on RED V-RAPTOR ST 8K VV, V-RAPTOR ST Starter pack, and available accessories, visit Red.com or  RED Premium Dealers. Customers can also visit any one of the RED Premium Dealers across the globe to schedule a demo and learn more about the products. 

“We are excited to partner with our amazing Premium Dealers to bring this groundbreaking camera technology to market. V-RAPTOR joins KOMODO, RANGER and DSMC2 to create what we feel is the best and most versatile lineup of cinema cameras in the industry. We will continue to work with our Premium Dealers and all of our partners to provide the highest level of service to the global community of RED users.” — Tommy Rios, Executive Vice President, RED Digital Cinema

More information on the availability of the black version of V-RAPTOR and the accompanying V-RAPTOR Starter and Production Packs, as well as the V-RAPTOR XL, will be available via RED.com soon.  

• Premium Member

Am I the only one really confused by this camera?

I was really interested to see what Red would come up with (and the mid-range of the camera market has been painfully sparse for last few years).

But a stills lens mount only (even with a locking mechanism)? No accessory power outputs? A v-mount plate that will only fit a few mini v-mount batteries that are out there? No internal ND solution (beyond the hodge podge "slot-in" style lens adapters that are just a dust super highway to the sensor)? And a $2750 USD, 7" monitor (for a small camera body) that appears to require mounting directly on top of the camera (where the top handle needs to be)?

As much horsepower as they've squeezed under the bonnet, it's those operational aspects that make a camera appealing these days (they all make good-enough pictures). It's why I think the Mavo Edge is such an appealing camera - they've squeezed all of the OPERATIONAL bells and whistles on to that thing. That's what's exciting.

Why would you not address those KEY elements on a $24,500 camera? How many of the solo-shooter "put a stills lens and monitor on and go" types are going to spend that much on a camera (especially one with the controls on the assistant's side? It's a camera priced, and (at least partially) designed for a camera crew to work with it, and yet it's going to require a tonne of rigging gack to make it operational for that.

I guess the question now is, is the Raptor worth all of those operational compromises for the relatively reasonable price of $24,500 USD? You'll have to add some irritating v-mount-to-v-mount power distro box out the back of it. And you'll need to add RF adapters up front, possibly with additional bracketry to brace them to that slew of 1/4"-20s on the front of the body (so that they don't flex due to the structural costs of the filter slots, and the undersized flange of the RF mount).

Personally, I'm finding it pretty hard to see the appeal. It just doesn't bring much to the table except higher resolutions and framerates that I very rarely need.

The simplified control panel on the assistant's side is nice though. Needing breakout cables just to jam timecode etc? Not so much.

53 minutes ago, Mark Kenfield said:

Am I the only one really confused by this camera?

You forgot one key aspect: It uses CFExpress media, of which only one card is actually certified right now. The reason being, no other card can handle the data rates.

They're not expecting everyone to agree with their design decisions because this camera isn't *for* everybody. If it works for you, great. If not--a larger, Ranger-style version of this camera will apparently be coming soon as well.

RED simply doesn't care if you agree with them or not--they're going to make the best camera possible in the smallest body possible, and you either go along for the ride or buy something else ?

49 minutes ago, Neal Norton said:

A company that "simply doesn't care" if the customer likes the product is not a business; its a hobby. 

If enough people "buy something else" I would suggest the product is a failure.

Neal Norton

Apple regularly makes anti-consumer design decisions and they're the most profitable company in the world. Strong decision making will always be rewarded.

In many ways, RED *is* a hobby--they make cameras to see what can be done, to push the envelope, and figure out the limits of imaging. If you agree with that mindset, great! If not, we are lucky enough to live in a time with many other camera options.

I always laugh at the old school "companies only exist to server the consumer" mindset. That simply isn't true nowadays. Companies like SpaceX, Oculus, Looking Glass, were all founded simply as excuses to make cool stuff. It just so happens others think its cool tool.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:19 PM, Neal Norton said:

A company that "simply doesn't care" if the customer likes the product is not a business; its a hobby. 

If enough people "buy something else" I would suggest the product is a failure.

Neal Norton

There are aiming more than ever to owner-operators, not to say fanboys.

Even it may have some cool features, there's no way a real professional shoot can use a camera that has been configured like this one.

Yea I think everyone agrees, looks not good. They just aren't going to compete with the top of the market with Sony and Arri anymore. Who would use this? I guess owner operators who Direct and Shoot their own work and for some reason don't like any of the better more ubiquitous options on the market

The built ND is the perfect example of them getting it wrong. Its just such a simple and needed feature these days.

• Premium Member

Well this is interesting. I think I've finally pieced together how the "Production Shell" accessories (that were shown in the live stream) will sit on the Raptor. I've thrown together a quick little mashup in Photoshop (for those, like me, who have similarly been struggling to piece things together in their heads):

1005882982_Raptor-ProductionShell.thumb.jpg.51d006248b0a8b99d8ab420c0c665954.jpg

I was a bit annoyed at first (that the camera didn't simply have these basic functionalities built in), but the more I ponder it, the more I think it's actually a really interesting take on the modularity that has defined DSMC2.

Instead of DSMC2's build-a-cam approach (and all the complexity that it creates), this keeps all of the essentials self-contained (and familiar to everyone who encounters the camera). And then adds a (hopefully) really tidy "Production Shell" to provide the accessory power outputs, and control I/O that conventional productions will need. 

And although I'd still prefer a tidier (and lighter) version of the camera, that simply had these three components built-in from the start. If this is essentially what the "production" version of the camera can be - then it suddenly grew much more appealing to me.

From the look of the render of the gold-mount plate, it would appear we'll end up with 2x DTAP outputs, and the 2x Lemo outputs on the top plate. And four outputs is going to be enough to cover the majority of rigging situations without having to add further accessory gack. This is really pretty significant.

It also looks like the "shell" battery plates, will bring the battery-mounting out far enough from the back of the camera, that we can (hopefully) use any existing V-mount or Gold-mount batteries (which will be a relief).

The camera's starting to make considerably more sense to me now (the lens mount/ND situation is the main remaining issue). I just don't understand why they didn't present these aspects of it clearly at the release.

Edited by Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member
On 9/3/2021 at 5:15 PM, Andy Jarosz said:

Apple regularly makes anti-consumer design decisions and they're the most profitable company in the world

that is why I only buy Apple stuff if it is old, used and very VERY cheap. No reason to pay 5x the price for a computer which has bad connections and which cannot be updated.  Well, of course it is nice to have a hipster super high res display which is very expensive and so small that you cannot actually see more resolution from it than fullhd. But not gonna pay any extra for it ?

Most of this stuff is made for people who are more interested in how much their outfit costs and how many megapixels their camera has than actually working on any real project (because, well, it is much funnier and easier to just buy new cool stuff than actually use it for anything)

Edited by aapo lettinen
  • Upvote 1

I don't really understand people who are mad at this camera...if you don't like it, don't buy it. Why waste time hating it?

The other thing people are missing is they've already said there will be a Ranger version of this camera. If that's not everything you want in a production camera, I don't know what is!

710-0329_02.png

• Premium Member
On 9/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, Andy Jarosz said:

I don't really understand people who are mad at this camera...if you don't like it, don't buy it. Why waste time hating it?710-0329_02.png

I don't hate that camera.  I'll just replace the stupid skull logo with a Hello Kitty sticker and call it a day

• Haha 5

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/2/2021 at 6:00 AM, Andy Jarosz said:

You forgot one key aspect: It uses CFExpress media, of which only one card is actually certified right now. The reason being, no other card can handle the data rates.

They're not expecting everyone to agree with their design decisions because this camera isn't *for* everybody. If it works for you, great. If not--a larger, Ranger-style version of this camera will apparently be coming soon as well.

RED simply doesn't care if you agree with them or not--they're going to make the best camera possible in the smallest body possible, and you either go along for the ride or buy something else ?

This kind of attitude sounds great for a business to take. I am reminded of the Carl's Jr in Idiocracy.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Gianluca Mazzanti said:

Does it have a native ISO?

All cameras have native ISO's, no different than film stock. 

Some cameras have "double" native, which has become quite common on the lower cost cameras. But the higher end cameras use the double preamp circuits to extend dynamic range. So most of the higher end cameras don't have double ISO.  

• Premium Member

Dual-ISO cameras are becoming more and more common, like with the Sony Venice.  The Alexa sensor though chose to have dual analog gain outputs on each photosite in order to create more dynamic range by combining the signals rather than a high-ISO option. But that sensor design is also a decade old. Currently the trend is to lower noise in the sensor to improve dynamic range rather than use ARRI's approach.  However, every test I've seen still shows the Alexa to have the best roll-off in the overexposure range, which makes it resemble film the most.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member

I have no idea. What’s the native ISO of my Nikon Z6? It might be as low as ISO 200. It doesn’t really matter, what matters is choosing an ISO that gives you the balance of noise versus highlight protection you want. For many digital cinema cameras, that’s in the ISO 400 to 800 range even if the “native” sensitivity is much lower — but the noise of the system is low enough for the recommended EI to be higher.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

What’s the native ISO of my Nikon Z6? It might be as low as ISO 200. It doesn’t really matter, what matters is choosing an ISO that gives you the balance of noise versus highlight protection you want. For many digital cinema cameras, that’s in the ISO 400 to 800 range even if the “native” sensitivity is much lower — but the noise of the system is low enough for the recommended EI to be higher.

As you allude to here, the concept of these things having a native ISO in this context is fairly arbitrary. All modern sensors have amplifiers on them which take the (minute) currents actually created by the converted photons and inflate them to a level that's comprehensible to an analogue-to-digital converter. The behaviour of all that creates what looks like a native ISO, but really, it's just a matter of the engineer's opinion as to what a reasonable level of noise looks like.

It is quite possible to specify the absolute noisefloor of an imaging sensor and the engineer's reference materials from them often do so. Usually it's a single digit number of electrons in a competitive modern cinema sensor with a full well capacity of tens of thousands. Often there's no such number given for a finished camera. It was once common to do this for broadcast cameras but it isn't a widely discussed or understood specification now. I'm not sure why, though given many modern cameras are very heavily reliant on digital noise reduction it might not have much meaning.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

How meaningful is a native ISO... or how every camera has one. 
Theoretically isn't ISO just a standardised speed rating for a camera? The ideology of one being native and it giving 'peak' performance is as David says perceptual. 
I remember it being explained to me that 'native ISO' means the image/signal has only undergone analogue amplification, this is of course wrong... as almost all useful images that have undergone demosaicing have had a level of digital gain introduced (an example being 1.64* for the Red channel at 5600k for Alexa sensors (ALEV)). 
And with the idea that the analogue gain applied to be the mean, native, signal... even non 'DGA' Sony sensors from my understanding typically employ a comparator system at the end of each column (typically where substantial analogue amplification takes place prior to ADC) that decides if a signal is under a certain value - a hypothetical 4, and the ADC, line or whatever gets saturated at a value of 10. It'll amplify by an extra 6db or such (2*) to mitigate quantisation noise and such. 
With the amount of image processing in today's cameras, I think the ideology of a native is nice, but it's not really a meaningful specification... outside of one high - untouched and reconstructed at such level, analogue gain and one low in terms of dual 'native'. The only aid I see it being is an understanding that at a said point you have a relatively even distribution of signal above and below middle grey. However, even then as said above - the noise floor of any imaging sensor is measurable but different, it's similar to ISO in relation to it being a perceived standard in terms of SNR but is an outcome of numerous variables different from design to design and even location to location, with thermal noise, dark current noise, reset noise... and that would eat away at the bottom of your signal... so you may not want to evenly distribute it.
Sorry for the ramble.

56 minutes ago, Gabriel Devereux said:

it's similar to ISO in relation to it being a perceived standard in terms of SNR

I phrased this incorrectly and poorly. It's an assumed standard, a constant, a FPN. Which it somewhat is but the amount of variables that 'eat up' the bottom of the signal are indeed variables which are space dependent to a certain degree. I think just highlights that the appropriate digital gain is entirely perceptual and as long as it isn't destructive a native is somewhat obsolete in terms of performance. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...