Shortage of 16mm 7219 and 7213?

Dirk DeJonghe

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

I disagree. Even the old Scarlet-X has a very filmic look. They're terrific cameras, except for the Red One, which no longer has any appeal at all.

I have quite a bit of experience with them. I'm editing my 3rd feature shot with Red, but it's all with the Helium for the first time in 8k.  Having just edited/colored a feature with the Alexa Mini, the difference is night and day. The Alexa has a very filmic look right off the camera, the skin tones look right, the color contrast looks right, if I added film grain, you'd probably think it was film. Also, going between an A and B camera is smooth. With Red, two cameras never look the same, even with the same settings, lenses, everything. So when you're editing/grading a movie, you have to make all new workflow for the "B" camera and match via eye. This mixed with the very odd skin tones in most cases, with color contrast that just doesn't seem right, it's a very interesting combination. The Helium has the best color science for sure, much better than the cameras I've shot with like the Dragon. However, I don't think it matters much because as a colorist, I'm still dealing with the same issues as the older cameras. 

I'm not a red hater, I've personally shot with them quite a bit on music video's, commercials and industrial films. But there is a reason why people bother using the Alexa's, they just have a lot of issues solved that Red still struggles with.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
56 minutes ago, Robin Phillips said:

just went to order a few 100' rolls of 200T online and it seems like 16mm is a rare commodity again. Stupid question, but does anyone have a contact for the LA kodak rep (I think they're in the old reel good building now)? 

Well, this is possibly an actual stupid question: can you not order a different stock, like 7207 or 7219? If you can't, then would you consider shooting 2-perf 35mm and cropping?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Robin Phillips said:

just went to order a few 100' rolls of 200T online and it seems like 16mm is a rare commodity again. Stupid question, but does anyone have a contact for the LA kodak rep (I think they're in the old reel good building now)? 

I do have some stock but not 100ft daylight spools. 

Kodak is out of everything 16mm right now, but it'll be back soon. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

Well, this is possibly an actual stupid question: can you not order a different stock, like 7207 or 7219? If you can't, then would you consider shooting 2-perf 35mm and cropping?

nah, I need to finally check my SR3 since it came back from being serviced. I've got a bit of every stock on 400ft rolls in the freezer that are all a bit over 2 years old now I think, but since I was going to check for sharpness in the image I was hoping to shoot with something a bit more fresh. Was hoping to order online since Im not gonna be back in LA any time soon to do local pickup with kodak or cinestill.

19 minutes ago, Robin Phillips said:

nah, I need to finally check my SR3 since it came back from being serviced. I've got a bit of every stock on 400ft rolls in the freezer that are all a bit over 2 years old now I think, but since I was going to check for sharpness in the image I was hoping to shoot with something a bit more fresh. Was hoping to order online since Im not gonna be back in LA any time soon to do local pickup with kodak or cinestill.

You may want to give MonoNoAware a call: http://mononoawarefilm.com/film-stock