M1 MacBook Pro couldn't copy files from an AXS memory card

The AXS memory card was connected to a MacBook Pro 13" (that has the M1 chip) via AXS-AR1 card reader. Mac recognized it as a memory card and I was able to scroll though the MXF files. However, when I tried to ingest the files to Silverstack XT, the prosess got stuck when Silverstack tried to create thumbnails. Silverstack didn't crash but I was had to force quit it. After rebooting it, Silverstack no longer regonized the card on the ingest list. After disconnecting and reconnecting the card reader,  Mac no longer recognized it. After a reboot, it recognized it again, so I tried to use finder to copy the files. Alas, the finder froze. When trying to play the files directly from the card, finder froze. When trying to import the files to Resolve from the card, it froze.

After testing it on another M1 MacBook with the same results, I switched to an older, pre-M1 MacBook Pro and it had no problems with the card. Files were copied without an issue using finder. It didn't have Silverstack so I couldn't test it.

Has anyone else encountered this? Do you know what the problem could be? M1, the card, the reader, all of it? The reader was the older AXS-AR1 that has Thunderbolt 2.

Edited by Juha-Pekka Aaltonen
Fixing grammar

On 9/5/2021 at 4:03 AM, Juha-Pekka Aaltonen said:

The AXS memory card was connected to a MacBook Pro 13" (that has the M1 chip) via AXS-AR1 card reader. Mac recognized it as a memory card and I was able to scroll though the MXF files. However, when I tried to ingest the files to Silverstack XT, the prosess got stuck when Silverstack tried to create thumbnails. Silverstack didn't crash but I was had to force quit it. After rebooting it, Silverstack no longer regonized the card on the ingest list. After disconnecting and reconnecting the card reader,  Mac no longer recognized it. After a reboot, it recognized it again, so I tried to use finder to copy the files. Alas, the finder froze. When trying to play the files directly from the card, finder froze. When trying to import the files to Resolve from the card, it froze.

After testing it on another M1 MacBook with the same results, I switched to an older, pre-M1 MacBook Pro and it had no problems with the card. Files were copied without an issue using finder. It didn't have Silverstack so I couldn't test it.

Has anyone else encountered this? Do you know what the problem could be? M1, the card, the reader, all of it? The reader was the older AXS-AR1 that has Thunderbolt 2.

Interesting ,Im thinking to update when the new MBP comes out , would be dealing with XQD cards , I hope they work and its not some big wait For Sony to release updates or information to Apple .. used to be the curse of the old Sonnet SxS card readers , every Apple OS change it was gamble if the reader would work , then Sony taking  a long time to give out the necessary info to apple 

• 2 months later...

I'd just like to chime in and say I am having this exact same problem.  I'm using the Apple TB2 > TB3 adapter on the AXS-AR1 into a brand new M1 Max 14" late 2021 MBP.  I can see the card (usually) and browse the mxf files but I cannot copy them anywhere - not to the mac, attached storage, anything.  It just sits there and hangs.  Guessing this is a Mac + Sony problem?

• 1 month later...