Older tape video cameras for rental?

Gregory Irwin

• Premium Member

A buddy of mine in LA is an enthusiast of this sort of thing and I think he still has an old tube camera, very much detuned for maximum smeary tube fun and frolics. I believe he records it to a miniDV deck but the look would be earlier, more historic than the Hi8 period. Are you looking for a camera as a prop or something to produce old-looking pictures?

There are many, many kinds of Hi8 camera. Certainly dozens, from little handycams to dockable recorders for broadcast cameras. 

If you do get something like Hi8 then I'd encourage you to check it produces recordings that other devices will replay. Hi8 in particular is a little notorious for drifting, and the youngest of them will be pushing 25 years old now. They may play back their own recordings, but there are sometimes issues playing a tape made by one camera on another VCR.

P

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Evan Walsh said:

Depending on the length of the rental its probably cheaper to pick one up off eBay/craigslist rather than renting but Du-All camera in NJ rents MiniDV, VHS and Hi-8 cameras.

http://www.duallcamera.com/catalog/index.shtml

Thanks so much for this info. This could be perfect! We’ll rent it first and test it to evaluate if it’s the desired effect the directors want. What’s even better is the location of this business since we will be in New York!

G