Super8 Servicing in Australia

Lukas Price

Hi there!

I'm a long time observer on this forum but I am relatively new to using Super8 (maybe 10 months/5 cartridges in) and really like the format.

I use two Canon 518SVs, one of which appears to continually jam 200T and 500T maybe 3 foot before the end of the cartridge.

Does anyone on here know of a place which will service a super8 camera in Australia? I have looked fairly intensely and emailed a bunch of places which looked like they might, but am yet to find someone who can/will do it. Any suggestions?

• Premium Member

Hi Lucas,

sorry I don’t know anywhere here in Oz that services Super 8 cams. 

I’ve seen clean Canon 518 SV models on eBay for not much more than a hundred dollars, so it probably makes more sense to just buy another one. Or a different S8 camera.

I’ve worked on a few Super 8 cams in the past, but the time they take to disassemble, the chance of breaking things while you work on them and the possibility that after all that they may not come good anyway has burned me too many times. I suspect that’s why it’s hard to find Super 8 repair facilities. 

If your camera works until the last few feet, it sounds like the take-up may be struggling. It’s designed to slip as the film winds on (since the diameter of the winding film will increase but the motor rotation stays the same) so by the end of the cartridge the resistance to turning is greatest. I don’t know how to access the take-up clutch in a 518, but if you try to work on it yourself that’s where I’d be looking. Or maybe reach out to our resident Super 8 guru Martin Baumgarten for some tips.

• 2 months later...