James Bond cinematography + the fact 1 of them shot digitally in full, then back to film....

• Premium Member

Watched Quantum of Solace (2008) again yesterday and was reminded of what great action film editing and cinematography looks like. Shot on 35mm film on Arricams and Arriflex cameras with Zeiss lenses as IMDB says.

Interesting (oh no here I go again, I'm so boring and predictable) that I thought something was 'off' and sh*t-looking about Skyfall (2012). I wrongly assumed all Bond films were shot on film so I never looked at the Tech Specs as I always do for fun.....and it so happens SKYFALL was shot digital.

Then the next Bond film Spectre (2015) - directed by Sam Mendes again and shot by Hoytema with film plus some digital.

No Time to Die is back to 100% film

Arriflex 235, Panavision C-, E- and G-Series Lenses 
Arriflex 435 ES, Panavision C-, E- and G-Series Lenses 
Arriflex 765, Zeiss 765 Lenses (some shots) 
IMAX MKIV, Hasselblad Lenses (some scenes) 
IMAX MSM 9802, Hasselblad Lenses (some scenes) 
Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision G-Series Lenses 
Panavision Panaflex System 65 Studio, Panavision Sphero 65 Lenses (some shots)

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Yea Skyfall did look really great, but for sure not like the other films. It's also one of the best Bond films over-all story/direction wise. I wonder if they made 35mm prints of it, I for sure haven't seen it on film. I bet it looks pretty good on 35mm, bet ya can't tell it was shot digitally. But digital acquisition to digital presentation, yea you can tell it was shot digitally and some scenes are kinda flat. Its unfortunate Spectre was such a dog, very unfortunate. 

No Time to Die was wrapped before the pandemic, so they may have been one of the last big movies to shoot on film pre-pandemic. I know the reason why the new Mission Impossible was not shot on film was due to the pandemic. 

I'm not sure what big productions are shooting film right now, but I'm sure there are a few. The world of Indy films, is very busy shooting film actually. 

• Like 1