Developing B&W film in lower gamma

Gautam Valluri

Hello everyone,

I was watching this interview with the great Robby Müller on how he shot Jim Jarmusch's "Down by Law" and he mentions using Double-X and Plus-X stocks and then developing them to a "lower" gamma of 0.6

I understand what gamma means and I have some fair experience developing 7222 and some reversal by hand. I'm unable to understand how one develops a film for a lower gamma, like in this case 0.6

I'd appreciate any help. Here is a link to the video for all of you to enjoy:

Thanks,
Gautam

• Premium Member

Lower gamma is essentially pulling the film; processing it less/faster in the developer, which means you have to expose a bit more to get the same target density.

This also affects the slope of the characteristic curve and flattens it out a bit.

We typically maintain 3 gammas for dupe negative stocks:  .50, .60 and .70 gamma.

What we do is done to overcome the inherent contrast build-up that results from copying an element to another element;  i.e., an inter positive to a dupe negative or a print to a dupe negative.

What Mr. Müller did was give himself more meat in the negative without dramatically pushing the shadows into the mud.

0.05 gamma is not a huge reduction in "normal" gamma, which is 0.65 for camera original b&w negative, but it is enough to push the highlights down from the top of the shoulder toward the toe and improve highlight detail.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frank Wylie said:

Lower gamma is essentially pulling the film; processing it less/faster in the developer, which means you have to expose a bit more to get the same target density.

This also affects the slope of the characteristic curve and flattens it out a bit.

We typically maintain 3 gammas for dupe negative stocks:  .50, .60 and .70 gamma.

What we do is done to overcome the inherent contrast build-up that results from copying an element to another element;  i.e., an inter positive to a dupe negative or a print to a dupe negative.

What Mr. Müller did was give himself more meat in the negative without dramatically pushing the shadows into the mud.

0.05 gamma is not a huge reduction in "normal" gamma, which is 0.65 for camera original b&w negative, but it is enough to push the highlights down from the top of the shoulder toward the toe and improve highlight detail.

Thanks Frank, I think I got it now